Personal Statement for MSc in Energy Systems at Oxford University

AJaya 1 / -  

my interest in energy systems

While pursuing my undergraduate degree in Petroleum Engineering at Institut Teknologi Bandung, I started to have an interest in energy systems and their role in overcoming climate change and achieving energy security at the same time. I took the Geothermal class during my study as it will have a big role in future energy systems as low-carbon energy sources. In addition, I did research on optimizing the Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) as negative carbon technology for my final thesis. This sparked my curiosity about the integration of each aspect of building a suitable energy system.

After finishing my final thesis research, I am still curious about the non-technical aspects which might affect the implementation of negative carbon technology as part of the energy system. Hence, I did my independent research on observing the possible obstacles from economic, environmental, and social aspects. The result was presented at the 82nd European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers Annual Conference & Exhibition. During the research, I found out that the non-technical aspects also play a crucial role in energy system. To extend my knowledge, I joined the course "Global Energy and Climate Change Policy" by University of London. At the end of the course, I was particularly fascinated by energy system establishment which needs to adapt each country's conditions, such as geographic and political situation. The MSc in Energy Systems at University of Oxford will be suitable for me as it provides a thorough explanation for every type of energy resource utilization and policy making method to fit energy system in different conditions. Also, with its reputation, joining this institution will give me opportunity to expand connection and collaborate with expertise on this sector.

Although my current job is not directly related to my interest, working as a Measurement Performance Live Engineer at Schlumberger helped to provide me a useful experience in energy company. With my responsibility to monitor the drilling process for a 12-hour shift every day, I already get used to working intensively and unaffected by long working hours. Moreover, this role also requires me to gather ideas from other engineers and provide a rapid solution if there is any urgent issue during drilling. While in the university, I was selected as the President of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) ITB SC which improved my organizational skills and time management. Also, I was selected to represent my university in the International Geothermal Case Study Competition which I won first place. At the same time, I was able to achieve the Dean's List award for outstanding students in seven semesters.

If admitted to this program, I aim to specialize in energy policy which will integrate all aspects of energy systems. Five years after graduated, I plan to be a researcher or consultant who assists in energy policy establishment whether for a company or government. For a further ten years, I plan to pursue a DPhil in Engineering Science with a focus on Energy and specialize my career in research. Therefore, I believe that only MSc in Energy Systems at University of Oxford which will provide a perfect foundation for my future career plan.
I am wondering if you were given a specific set of writing guides before you wrote the personal statement. If so, then you should have tried to share it with me in this presentation. It is difficult to give you advice for improvement without knowing if I am actually on the right track while reviewing your essay. The reason I say this is because the personal statement should not be written as an extended resume, which is what you wrote. It should show a perfect balance with regards to how your personal growth and development is assisted on both your professional and personal side. The endeavors that you take outside of your profession that prove a higher ability to complete the masters program would have helped more than your extended explanation of your personal background.

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement for MSc in Energy Systems at Oxford University