Home / Graduate   % width   Posts: 2

Supporting statement for Master's degree in Advanced Control and Systems Engineering

Fikri26 1 / -  
For information, here are the instructions for the supporting statement that is asked to be submitted:

Please type in or upload a statement in support of your application (min. 300 words).
Among the things you may wish to include are:
- why you are applying for this course
- how your previous education and experience relates to this course of study
- how this course fits into your long-term academic or career plans

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My initial choice to study Physics at an undergraduate level was born more out of academic experience and personal tendencies rather than a budding passion. I was always more comfortable with physical sciences rather than humanities, and the majority of school competitions I participated in were mainly in Physics. These reasons led me to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Physics.

However, during my undergraduate study, I was introduced to the choices of specialization in the undergraduate Physics program that starts in the third year; among them is Instrumentation Physics, which opened my eyes to the world of applied physics and engineering. Jumping into the third year, I studied embedded systems, mainly using Assembly and C, data acquisition using NI LabVIEW, and control theory of continuous linear systems with MATLAB practice, among other elective subjects and lab courses. Continuing to the fourth year, I learned about digital signal processing using MATLAB and underwent a fieldwork practice that gave me a hands-on perspective on an engineer's life. During my fieldwork practice course, I had the opportunity to study the monitoring and safety system of an electrification system at a railway traction power substation. All of those showed the realization of physical laws and control models in real-life systems, which pulled me into choosing engineering as a future path.

Strengthening this sentiment is the realization that in my hometown in Kalimantan, Indonesia, besides the downstream palm oil industry trend, there is also a renewable energy mix target of 19-22% by 2030 and 31% by 2050 from Indonesia's National Energy Policy (KEN), following the target of national net zero emission by 2060 and considering the capital city's change to the Capital City of Nusantara in the East Kalimantan province. Accordingly, I wish to be a part of this wave by spreading my experience across the agro-processing industry and power generation sectors, which I believe are among the most promising industries in Kalimantan.

I understand that my academic experience in instrumentation specialisation during my undergraduate is not enough to fully realize this vision. While undertaking a short course in basic project management in the scope of electrical and instrumentation engineering, I realized that I still have much to learn before committing to the engineering field as a future career.

Thus, in preparation for that, I am planning to further my education by acquiring a Master's degree in Advanced Control and Systems Engineering from your reputable institution. Besides the classroom courses, I am looking forward to the Industrial Study Programme (ITP) in Advanced Manufacturing course that is offered to gain insight and experience in advanced manufacturing industries. Furthermore, I am also intrigued by the Control and Power Systems Laboratory facility in your department. As the largest Control and Systems Engineering department in Europe, I believe the opportunity to study here will expand my horizons and give me a chance to gain a world-standard education.

I understand the level of dedication, resolve, and attitude one needs for a graduate program, and I believe I have the necessary competence and drive to follow through. I am confident that this program will equip me with the skills necessary to realize my goals. Thank you for considering my application.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15258  
Your supporting statement tends to jump around in terms of information sharing, without actually building to a solid finish. Try to focus on the real aim of your studies and develop the essay around that. Either you are interested in developing your skills in Physics or you want to help build the renewable energy sector of your country. Those are 2 unrelated topics and therefore, confusing for the reviewer to keep track of. Try to use the strongest opinion topic for your discussion. I am not sure what choice that would be for you so I will leave you to choose your discussion focus. The essay feels like there is a lot more information to be presented per paragraph. You seem to be holding back. Why is that? There is no maximum word count so be as transparent as you can be so that the reviewer will get to know very well through this written interview.

Home / Graduate / Supporting statement for Master's degree in Advanced Control and Systems Engineering
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: