Home / Letters   % width   Posts: 2

A short motivation letter for studying mathematics - 400 to 500 words, but involves change of fields

raj8799 1 / -  
Please help me make this convincing, error free and of more quality

Dear Admissions Committee

I am a recent graduate of Bachelors in Aerospace Engineering from {}, {},{}. I did my undergrad major project in "Localization of Radio Frequency Source using UAV" where as part of this project, I developed a probabilistic localization algorithm based on belief filtering technique. During this algorithm development, I dived into various concepts of mathematics like beliefs, probability density function, Markov decision process, ergodicity, belief filtering etc.

The main instructive moment for me, during development of algorithm's mathematical model, was to figure out a way to use the looping nature of octant headings adjunct to their corresponding update in belief. In this search I found myself merged deep into group theory, Abelian Group and ultimately, I found Modular Arithmetic to be useful for my task. However, during this phase I was struck with the stark realization that mathematics taught in Applied Sciences, while useful and equally rigorous, cannot capture ,in a sense, the attraction of Theoretical Mathematics for me.

I am interested about how concepts in Mathematics 'are laid' and 'lead'? more specifically, how certain axioms and operations defined lead to a world of new proofs of relation among the content of the original logical construct that were not that obvious in the first place. For example, how simple operations like : mapping, association, listing, sorting, modular arithmetic (again !), increment and diagonalization; led to Cantor's proof of "Some infinities being larger than other". If given chance to study at your esteemed university, I will certainly enjoy mathematics with this laid-lead dynamic in focus while tackling the rigorous and abstract-thinking demands it will present.

I am keen to pursue my passion for theoretical mathematics in Ludwig-Maximilians University with its B.Sc. mathematics course focused on areas like, topology, algebra, number theory, where my interests align. I believe that the opportunity to learn from the esteemed faculty members who are leaders in their field, as well as working alongside with peers and mentors who share similar enthusiasm, will be incredibly simulating. I am excited about prospect of joining your esteemed program which will provide me with ideal platform to reach my aspirations.

Thank you.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15208  
This letter is very weak. It is not the kind of motivational letter that would catch the attention of the admissions officer. You have to understand, they are looking for specific qualifications in their incoming students. I believe that you are applying for a masters course right? Your original course is not too far in relation to the course that you wish to take. However, your motivation is theoretical rather than professional, which makes it difficult for the reviewer to consider you a serious student. It is admirable that you want to continue learning, but you are not clear about how you are motivated to apply this to your workplace. You need to include a reference to that in your letter.

Home / Letters / A short motivation letter for studying mathematics - 400 to 500 words, but involves change of fields
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: