Home / Research Papers % width Posts: 2

A persuasive essay topic on why its best to prioritize a healthy lifestyle

aspenswick 1 / -  
I wrote a draft for a persuasive essay topic on why its best to pChoose Health

What are the negative consequences to maintaining an unhealthy lifestyle? Our overall wellbeing is composed of three aspects: our physical health, our mental health, and a healthy diet. There is a generous amount of damning evidence that communicates the potentially fatal consequences to maintaining unhealthy habits. In addition, there are many residual side effects from maintaining such a lifestyle. Despite this information being brought to light throughout the last 3 decades, or so, people continue to blatantly overlook the statistics and facts that credible sources put out for us to learn from.

One of the main reasons the general public should reconsider their lifestyle choices is because a lifetime of poor physical health will likely have irreversible damage on the body. Studies have shown a decrease in the lifespan of adults that indulged in smoking, drinking, and the overconsumption of food. "For example, a 50-year-old woman who never smoked, was never obese, and drinks moderately will live an extra 12 years, on average...the difference in life expectancy between the two categories was 11.1 years for men" (Mehta). When thinking about the alternative result, having twelve more years with loved ones is a very compelling argument.

Unfortunately, history has shown that negative motivation is more effective as opposed to positive motivation. For example, as a society and government, a tremendous amount of progress was made in discouraging the nasty habit of smoking cigarettes. Once it was required of television advertisements to disclose the fatal consequences to smoking, there was a significant decrease in the usage of cigarettes in the next generation. However, when vapes made their debut, this tarnished all that progression to better the health of our public that the older generation worked so hard for. Vaping can have negative consequences on both physical and mental health.

Exposure to harmful chemicals and toxins can potentially lead to lung and heart problems. Additionally, there is talk about the concern about the impact of vaping on brain development in younger individuals. It seems that our world is having a moment of déjà vu. These apprehensions align with the original concerns on smoking cigarettes. Thankfully, "We found that non-obese individuals who quit smoking ten or more years prior to survey entry and drank alcohol moderately had total and healthy life expectancies only one year shorter than non-obese never-smokers who drank alcohol moderately" (Mehta). This statistic shows that it is never too late to make changes in your lifestyle. Allow this to motivate and fuel the urge for a clean slate. There are so many resources these days, online and in person, to utilize.

Additionally, it has been proven that older Americans are living longer and are generally healthier than their predecessors (Mehta). By fifty years old, approximately 80% of Americans have either been obese or have smoked, which has persistently held since the seventies (Mehta). This statistic isn't hard to believe considering each year that passes, grocery stores have more and more items on their shelves that are not nutrient dense. Unless you know how to read the fine print, it is advised to stick to a whole food item. It is common knowledge that when grocery shopping, people should stick to the outside aisles as much as possible. This is due to the items on the shelves being full of processed ingredients. Whole foods are much fulfilling to the human body and will fuel your body for longer periods of time.

Another vital reason the general public should reconsider their unhealthy choices is because the research on how those choices affects the mental health have significantly increased. Mental health is finally getting the long-awaited attention it deserves within this younger generation of people. There has been a profound amount of research dedicated to uncovering the psychological benefits along with the physical benefits to prioritizing daily activity. For instance, "Accumulating evidence suggests that for members of the general population, planned and structured physical activity is associated with psychological benefits in four broad areas: enhanced mood, stress reduction, a more positive self-concept, and higher quality of life" (Berger). This is relatable in day-to-day life for a multitude of reasonings.

For instance, whenever daily activity is completed, endorphins are released, making us feel happier and less stressed. Endorphins are often referred to as our "feel good" chemicals and can be boosted through various activities, including exercise. Without physical movement, endorphins may not be released. Therefore, we can conclude that there would be a significant increase in stress, anxiety, and even depression in those choosing to remain inactive.

There is no denying that physical activity leads to a better overall physique. When working on potential physical insecurities, naturally this leads to a more positive self- concept. When improving insecurities, if applicable, and releasing feel good hormones into the body, what is left is a higher quality of life. "Older adulthood is often accompanied by declining health, social losses, and other psychological stressors" (Gallegos). As we get older, we are presented with different kinds of responsibilities than in our younger years. To illustrate, raising children, advancing in careers, and maintaining a happy marriage will likely prove to be big asks that are difficult to fulfill.

Without emotional resilience, depressive symptoms will arise. Namely, "People rely upon emotion regulation strategies to adjust to situations they cannot change" (Gallegos). At the end of the day, it is important to remember that there is much that cannot be controlled. It is in the best interest, mental health wise, to embrace life's inevitable challenges and learn to adapt to unwanted changes. There is more than one emotion regulation strategy to be used. Some common strategies are: meditating, journaling, and of course, engaging in exercise. It is imperative to explore the many different possibilities to find what works best for you to effectively manage your emotions.

Emotional resilience is considered a skillset every individual should have as has many direct and indirect benefits. Those that foster a mindset of growth enables themselves to effectively manage and best bounce back from setbacks, failures, and adversity without the potential trauma associated with day-to-day trails and tribulations. Ultimately, good emotional health plays a key role in promoting overall well-being and prevents the potential development of mental health issues.

Maintaining good physical health is essential to supporting ample mental health. poor physical well-being leads to undesirable feelings such as insecurity, depression, and irritability. For example, research was conducted based on this theory and "in conclusion, our study indicated that comprehensive lifestyle modification, with a focus on stress reduction, improved QoL" (Michalsen). Chronic stress can have a negative impact on both the physical and mental condition. Seeking out help from trained professionals or a trusted friend is vital in order to learn how to genuinely manage stress levels and therefore improve overall quality of life.

The third major reason the general public should adopt a healthier lifestyle is because of the way our very human bodies could benefit from it. Specifically, a healthy diet significantly reduces the risk for chronic health conditions. Americans are the most obese individuals in the world. "In the United States and worldwide, chronic diseases account for the greatest overall population disease burden in terms of mortality, morbidity, and decreased quality of life" (Reeves). Consuming processed, ready to eat foods, regularly supports a weak immune system due to the lack of essential nutrients and leaves the body vulnerable to things like various health conditions including diabetes and obesity.

Those that have chronic diseases are likely to share common lifestyle habits. For example, "Tobacco, poor diet, and physical inactivity have been identified as leading contributors to overall mortality in the United States" (Reeves). We can conclude that choosing healthier food options can prevent a lifetime of intensive management. There is an abundance of unhealthy, processed foods that are readily available everywhere you go these days. The American lifestyle encourages its nation to overeat thanks to environmental factors such as: fast food marketing and the portion sizes provided. Overall, a combination of poor food choices, lack of physical movement, and environmental factors contribute to the very high rates of obesity in America.

What are the repercussions of sustaining an unhealthy lifestyle? Our well-being includes our physical health, mental well-being and a balanced diet. There is substantial evidence indicating the potentially severe outcomes of maintaining unhealthy habits. Furthermore, there are numerous lingering effects of maintaining such a lifestyle. Despite the information being highlighted over the past few decades, individuals persist in disregarding the statistics and facts presented by reliable sources for us to benefit from.

In conclusion, the negative consequences of maintaining an unhealthy lifestyle are far-reaching and impactful. From an increased risk of chronic diseases to impaired physical and mental health, reduced life expectancy, decreased quality of life, and financial burden, the detrimental effects are undeniable. It is essential for individuals to prioritize their health and well-being by adopting healthy habits such as proper nutrition, regular exercise, and stress management. By making positive lifestyle choices, one can prevent these negative consequences and improve their overall quality of life. Ultimately, making positive changes to your lifestyle not only benefits your physical health but also supports your mental well-being, thus leading to an overall happier and fulfilling lifetime.
What are the negative consequences to maintaining an unhealthy lifestyle?

This is a rhetorical question that would have been best placed at the end of the introductory paragraph. It makes more sense to place it there as a part of the thesis statement and guide question. The first half of the paragraph should introduce the topic and establish the discussion points first.

having twelve more years with loved ones is a very compelling argument.

What is compelling about it? You began a new topic but failed to follow through on it with a personal insight. You have to develop that pov a bit more to create a compelling argument for the statement.

Vaping can have negative consequences on both physical and mental health.

The argument should be that vaping and smoking have the same ill effects on mental health. Recent medical studies have proven that to be the case.

Home / Research Papers / A persuasive essay topic on why its best to prioritize a healthy lifestyle