AAS - Atmospheric Sciences - your proposed course and institution

Silvana 1 / -  

Master of Science specialization in Atmospheric Science

I am choosing Master of Science (Earth Sciences) majoring in Atmospheric Sciences. As an Indonesian junior weather forecaster, I would like to deepen my knowledge in the field of weather forecasting to make precise and accurate weather forecasts to reduce the impact of losses caused by hydrometeorological disasters.

Indonesia, as a maritime continent, is the part of the planet with the highest rainfall. Located between the Indian and Pacific Oceans, this region is exposed to large-scale climate drivers such as the Indian Ocean Dipole and the El Nino Southern Oscillation and regional-scale waves, making the Indonesian region has various weather conditions and global climates, including climatic phenomena and extreme weather. Based on Indonesia Agency for Disaster Management (BNPB) data, more than 78% of Indonesia's disasters were caused by hydrometeorological hazards. Furthermore, global and local data show an increase in extreme weather events due to global climate change, marked by the high frequency of heavy rain, strong winds, tornadoes, extreme temperatures, lightning, and hail. The increasing frequency of disasters due to extreme weather has a huge impact, especially on the economic and environmental sectors. Meteorologists are needed to comprehensively understand weather control factors to produce a more precise and accurate meteorological early warning system so that mitigation processes can be carried out to reduce the impact of casualties and economic losses.

The Master of Science specializations in Atmospheric Science programs offered by the University of Melbourne and Monash University are very appropriate. Its program such as General Circulation of the atmosphere, advanced dynamical atmosphere, remote sensing of the atmosphere, and so on are the right combination as a preparation for me when going directly into the meteorology early warning system. Apart from the core subject, both The University of Melbourne and Monash University also provide a research project designed to develop my ability to set up, arrange and execute a research project under the guidance of an academic supervisor. At the end of the process, students will be encouraged to publish the research project. Furthermore, The University of Melbourne and Monash University are vital partners in the Victorian Institute of Earth and Planetary Science (VIEPS), which allows every student to take earth science at various participating institutions. Because of this collaboration, students will have access to academic expertise from across the region. The other interesting point that makes me choose the University of Melbourne is because they offer a range of high-level professional subjects such as Science Communication which may help me facing the public. As a civil servant, my work life will always be in touch with society. I must communicate science's language into a common language that the wider community can understand.

To become a professional civil servant, I need to find a university that provides me with practical and research knowledge. Accordingly, the Master of Science both in the University of Melbourne and Monash University has everything I need.
You have to present a first and second university choice. That is how the reviewer will base your choice of universities. There has to be one university that you would like to attend more than the other. They can never be equal in stature and desire of attendance. There needs to be discussion of how the universities differ and why that difference is important to someone like you, in this field of work. By discussing the universities on the same footing, attendance desire measurement, and course curriculum, it appears that you do not care about what university you attend, as long as you attend one. That is not a serious student, that is a student who will settle for less as long as he gets the scholarship. That should not be the case for your application. Prioritize the university discussions.
DA786 4 / 7 1  
too much information for the introduction. try to focus on what course will help you and relevant to the situation right now and the institution that you choose. you can add the problems as your background but don't make it too long, it should be effective and simple. keep writing!

Home / Scholarship / AAS - Atmospheric Sciences - your proposed course and institution