Australia Awards Scholarship Essay (Master of Public Policy)

Umbu Richy 4 / 10 1  
Hai everyone. My name is Richy and now I'm working on my scholarship application (AAS).
I would very grateful and really appreciate if you review my essay. Thank you

Why did you choose your porposed course and institution?

*(1986 characters from max. 2000)

I choose Master of Public Policy (MPP) because I have an interest in government policy. MPP will equip me more in theory and practice in policymaking and analysis to answer challenges and problems in society, specifically in underdeveloped areas that still lack of policy experts. Therefore, I will be able to contribute to forming government policies that are more responsive, sustainable, and able to adapt to the needs of the community, especially in extreme events (e.g. COVID-19 Pandemic).

My undergraduate study has provided an understanding of policymaking theory from legal perspective. However, the knowledge of policymaking in theory and practice from other fields such as economics, politics, government, leadership, and management is needed as a unity of expertise in policymaking. In Indonesia, the slow response from the government, the lack of a sense of crisis and coordination between the central and local government, and the less supportive social and cultural responses and economic conditions in the community have resulted delays in crisis management (Journal of Borneo Administrator Vol. 6(2) 2020).

I believe The University of Melbourne is the best choice because of its courses. Besides offering courses that support skills in policymaking like other universities, Unimelb specifically provides Crisis Management as a Core Subject which can prepare me in crisis management to prepare, respond to, and recover from extreme events such as epidemics, earthquakes, floods, bushfires, or financial collapse. To make sustainable policies for Indonesia, Unimelb also offers a course "Indonesia Rising?" which is not offered by other universities that specifically discuss Indonesia which has geopolitical similarities and close political relations with Australia as a democratic and decentralized power and the only member of the G20 in Southeast Asia so that it can support my ability to form policies which in my opinion describes "think globally and act locally".
(e.g. COVID-19 Pandemic).

- Do not make this a side note. Make this a part of the statement since it is highly relevant information at the moment.

(Journal of Borneo Administrator Vol. 6(2) 2020).

Do not use quoted information and reference to sources as a part of your response. Use your own words. This has to be a personal explanation. Remember the reference point for the response is "Why did YOU choose", therefore, the reason must be persona, even if based on a national plan or government program. Just frame it for a personal reference. Everything else in the presentation is acceptable.

You have a pretty well developed paragraph in relation to your course and university choice based on its relevance to your career requirements. I believe these are the best parts of your presentation. The areas I pointed out above are what I view to be problem points that need to be improved to better relate to the later paragraph presentations.
OP Umbu Richy 4 / 10 1  
Thank you for your feedback and suggestionsions, I really appreciate that.

Home / Scholarship / Australia Awards Scholarship Essay (Master of Public Policy)