Chevening Scholarship as a great accelerator for my career and preparation to achieve my goals

jac6198 2 / 4  

Career plan in the next 5 years - Chevening

Chevening is looking for individuals who have a clear post-study career plan. Please outline your immediate plans upon returning home and your longer term career goals. You may wish to consider how these relate to what the UK government is doing in your country. (minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

I have outlined my career plan for the next 5 years and its within the words limit. I appreciate any form of advice and comments. Thank you

Human capital and health improvement are of central importance towards sustainable development and economic growth in Malaysia. Since our independence in 1957, the UK government has been a major partner in helping Malaysia in the improvement of our health care services, education and training.

My immediate plan upon returning home would be to continue the journey towards becoming a Specialist in Ophthalmology. First, I would like to gain practical experience by applying for a position in XYZ General Hospital, the biggest national centre which provides comprehensive training. I plan to rotate through the different sub-specialties to broaden my horizon in addition to getting acquainted with consultants from different fields. Besides, I would like to embark further by sitting for the Fellowship examination offered by the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (UK). This will give me the international recognition needed to be a qualified ophthalmologist.

Sarawak is the largest state in Malaysia but compared to the other states, it is still lacking in terms of health and social facilities. The prevalence of blindness in Sarawak is 1.6%, second highest in Malaysia. My ultimate plan is to return to Sarawak approximately 5 years after graduation and to establish a One Stop Eye Centre which integrates ophthalmic and optometric eye care all under one roof in addition to offering visual rehabilitation service. We live in a community where sight is central and this is a world designed by the sighted for the sighted. However, any form of discrimination or exclusion of individuals still exists even at the least extent. Therefore, my vision is not only to provide medical services but also to allow visually-impaired individuals to take their places in the society based on their abilities, not their disabilities. I acknowledge that financial and travelling difficulties can be barriers to some patients. Thus, I have plans to collaborate with public institutions to provide bimonthly outreach services to remote areas.

The Malaysian and UK Governments are joining hands through the Newton-Ungku Omar Fund, a collaborative effort between both governments in science and technology innovation. Research grants have been granted via this fund for medical and health research in non-communicable diseases involving researchers from both countries. I acknowledge that contributing to Ophthalmology is more than just clinical work and research plays an equal role. I am currently working on a research project, aiming to establish a database for the prevalence of uveitis, an eye inflammatory disorder in Malaysia. Therefore, one of my goals within the next 5 years is to expand the database internationally. I hope to use the Chevening network and contacts that I am acquainted during my Masters programme to form collaboration with ophthalmologists in UK. This allows for international data comparisons and enhances the understanding of uveitis, leading to mutual benefits for UK and Malaysia.

I believe that Chevening Scholarship will be a great accelerator for my career and will prepare me well to achieve my goals. I would be honoured to be part of Chevening that will strengthen the ties between both countries.
Mudinero 4 / 9 3  
@Jac
I must commend you for this write up. It's quite sufficient and applicable to the prompt. (in my own opinion) 👍👍
sgassani 7 / 22 5  
@jac6198

education, and training
still exists even to the least extent
I acknowledge that financial and traveling difficulties
evaa 3 / 11  
@jac6198

Good write up !! My suggestion is however to avoid the first paragraph and start from the 2nd . Rest is all good . Do a spell check though . There are few spelling mistakes .
In the second to the last paragraph, you make a reference to grants being given by the British government for the improvement of science and technology information in your country. Then nothing. You dropped the ball. You should have related your research with that organization and indicated that you will try to gain a grant to help propel your research forward. Cite the need for the collaboration in your project / research and then indicate that you know that your Chevening exposure will assist you greatly in the pursuit of this grant. Explain that the grant will be used to expand the data base and so on and so forth. What you can do to improve this essay is remove the opening statement. Start instead with the second paragraph so that you discuss the direct points that you wish to establish. From there, the rest of the essay should fall into place. Don't forget the expanded discussion about the UK organization and how you plan to create a working relationship with them.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening Scholarship as a great accelerator for my career and preparation to achieve my goals