As a child i received my initial education away from home residing in a boys boarding school.

haroonpsp 1 / 1  
kindly review my esssay

"Any one can hold the helm when the sea is calm". Publilius Syrus.

As a child i received my initial education away from home residing in a boys boarding school. The very setting of that place provided me with the opportunity to exercise leadership skills from the very start. Rallying all the boys and competing in different sports, while being the house captain, allowed me to develop consensus from the very start and since that time i knew the importance of team work and decision making, as well as, translating vision in to reality. Leadership for me is what Mahatma Gandhi said that "i suppose leadership at one time meant muscles, but today it means getting along with people".

After my masters i took my Civil Services Exams and was placed in the Police Services of Pakistan. The civil services exams is targeted at selecting leaders and placing them in different groups. Being a member of the police services and starting off as an Assitant superintendent, placed me in the unique position of leading around 300 men from the very start. My responsibilities included both the welfare of the personnel working under my command as well as keeping an effective check over the law and order situation in my area of responsibility. This made it all the more important for me to command respect of my force through being an example of dedication and hard work. Humility, respect and the desire to learn from any one and every one allowed me to hone my leadership skills.

Upon transfer to Frontier Constabulary Force, i was posted as the Principal Staff Officer to the commanding officer of the nearly thirty thousand force. The position allowed me to act as a bridge between the force and its commander. Regular visits to the mountain posts were a standard feature of my tenure and from a leadership point of view they were all the more important as hardened terrorists were sitting on the other side of the mountains. As a commander it was my duty to show it to my men that we were all standing together.

Upon promotion to the rank of Superintendent, i was posted as a Company Commander at the Police Training College, where i was responsible for the grooming and training of 100 individuals. My position and rank placed me in the position of a mentor and i tried leading by example, knowing fully well that these individuals would be agents of change in the tough policing environment of Pakistan when introduced into active field duties. The result of that dedication towards duty was that my company secured first position among all the others.

Policing in Pakistan is a tough job and and in order to be a good officer one has to be a good leader. i have always led from the front as well as focusing on the welfare of the personnel who have worked with me, which has allowed me to command the respect of my force.
Adreanna - / 22 11  
Hi Haroon,

May I ask if this essay is for Chevening Scholarship as you have mentioned quite a lot about your leadership experience. Different scholarship will have different requirement on candidates and questions for them to answer, so please shed us a light.
OP haroonpsp 1 / 1  
hey andreanna
yes this is for chevening. i dont really know about the requirements of the scholarships, but i have tried answering the question regarding leadership roles and experiences that i have had over the period of time.
Adreanna - / 22 11  
Hi Haroon,

As you already mentioned that you have been in leading position for several cases. Even you have mentioned those experiences, they are all kind of "still on the surface". Do you want to dig deeper into what you did, how you did to influence your team/ lead them toward the same objective.

Home / Scholarship / As a child i received my initial education away from home residing in a boys boarding school.