"Good citizenship comes from good scholarship." - U Washington,Seattle (Honors)

pmr1692 1 / -  
1} "Good citizenship comes from good scholarship." What does this statement mean to you?

It is said that "Education is the manifestation of perfection in man". It means that education has the power to enhance the perfection that is dormant in each and every soul and only when this perfect soul is awakened, can a person truly achieve greatness and be a good person. The only way of achieving this state is through scholarly education.

It is through education that an immature and young mind is transformed into an erudite soul. This process of transformation is an extremely important part of every person's life and also is very significant for a nation as a whole because the value of a nation is not due to its economic status but due to the quality of the people living therein.

Thus it is evident that the process of creating good citizens is through good education. Even in today's "modern", "hi-tech" world many countries are plagued by the evil of illiteracy and consequentially the country's worth is reduced; because hand-in-hand with illiteracy follow other crimes and social evils which lead to the degradation of the society and eventually the nation. Therefore, education or scholarship plays a crucial role in shaping the morals and the overall attitude of a person and transforms him into 'the ideal citizen'.

The process of learning motivates us to be more aware of our surroundings and of our responsibilities as good citizens. Thus, educational institutions play a very important role in a country's path to progress by creating responsible and aware individuals.

Good education in a way induces a person to enhance oneself, and this desire of achieving overall perfection leads to the creation of a holistic human being who is indeed a good citizen and thinks for the betterment of all.

Hence, the phrase - "Good citizenship comes from good scholarship." truly has a very deep meaning to it which we must try to incorporate in our lives so that we can become good citizens and work towards the amelioration of our society.

This has 31 words extra. supposed to be 300.
vip747 4 / 18  
I thought it was good overall, but what does it mean to YOU. Thats what the question asks, not what it means in general.
Very good! When you start with that quote, though, tell who said it or where you heard it. I have never heard that expression.

Education trains the mind to think, instills morality, prepares people to contribute to society instead of detract from it, and frees the mind of prejudices. these are some ideas I thought of for you.

Hence, the phrase, "Goo d citizenship comes from good scholarship," truly has a very deep meaning to it which...

Home / Scholarship / "Good citizenship comes from good scholarship." - U Washington,Seattle (Honors)