MSC IN IMPACT ENTREPRENEURSHIP

jeoo 1 / 1  
This is a motivation letter that I wrote to submit for admission and Erasmus Mundus scholarship. It is a new program in the catalog.
There is no essay word count limit, except that it should be a maximum of one page. The program aims to train entrepreneurs who will create and develop businesses that will have meaningful impacts on the lives of people and society at large. The deadline is on the 7th of March, and I intend to submit latest on the 5th. Thank you for your help.

scholarship motivation letter

Dear Admissions Committee,

Inspired by the UN Sustainable Development Goals after attending the Nigerian Economics Students' Association (NESA) national conference as an undergraduate student in 2015, I co-founded a group on campus called the Analysis of the Nigerian Economy (ANC). ANC is a platform to organize discussions on Nigeria's developmental challenges, potential solutions, and create awareness of the Sustainable Development Goals. I believe that everyone plays a part in achieving these goals, and when people comprehend the scope of the issues, they are motivated to make a difference. With less than eight years until 2030, Africa is falling behind in meeting the UN Sustainable Development Goals, as shown by the 2020 Africa SDG Index and Dashboards Report. This serves as a strong call to action for me to make a significant difference in my community and Africa at large. This awareness is what motivates me to apply for the Erasmus Mundus Master in Impact Entrepreneurship.

Having worked in innovative startups with social impacts across different industries, I realized that Entrepreneurship could go beyond profitability to generate economic, social, and environmental impacts, which is a viable way to contribute to achieving the SDGs. This experience got me thinking deeply about the entrepreneurial ecosystem. How can entrepreneurs with a clear intention of wanting to change society be motivated to create products that will solve socio-economic issues?". For this reason, I intend to become part of the EMMIE program, so that I can gain knowledge and experience in creating technology-enabled innovative businesses and solutions that will create social impacts as well as financial gains in my country. My ambition is to use my knowledge, skills, and network gained from the program to create Africa's largest educational facility focusing on skill and capacity building in impact entrepreneurship.

During my years of undergraduate study in Economics, I took courses in Entrepreneurship Development and Vocation, Accounting, and Business Management. I was equipped with entrepreneurial skills and knowledge in creating new and innovative firms, writing business plans, types of business structures, market research, generating finance, and financial management. My undergraduate research on "SMEs and Economic Development in Nigeria" focused on understanding the impact of small businesses on the economy and lives of business owners and their employees. These experiences allowed me to recognize the enormous impact that entrepreneurship can have on resolving Nigeria's socio-economic problems. This has further motivated me to apply to the EMMIE program. My interest in entrepreneurship led to an internship at xx xx University's Centre for Entrepreneurship Studies. I assisted the Deputy Director with different research projects, including data gathering and analysis. I also assisted registered SMEs and vocational training providers in developing their business plans and providing technical and functional support as needed. I was able to improve my analytical, research, and presentation abilities. I participated in national conferences on the topics of "Entrepreneurship as a Tool for Sustainable Development" and "X X." As my interest grew, I sought knowledge by taking various online courses, listening to podcasts, and reading articles in the areas of entrepreneurship, business analysis and management, and venture creation.

I was selected in 2021 among hundreds of applicants for advanced training at the "xx Growth and Innovation School" organized by Mecfot, an organization with over seven subsidiaries in different sectors. I had the opportunity to meet and interact with founders of companies, entrepreneurs, and top business leaders. I learned about startups, design thinking, and market-creating innovation. While in the program, I also interned with the Group by working on innovative projects to solve urban housing, financial, and payment problems in Nigeria. Passionate about innovative products, I co-founded xx to contribute to the circular economy and reduce waste. xx is a digital marketplace where people can borrow anything nearby for work, home, or leisure instead of buying. Currently, I work as a business analyst for xx, a technology startup providing mobility solutions while contributing to poverty reduction and employment creation for Nigerians.

Upon graduation, I will start a social business incubator in Lagos, Nigeria for impact entrepreneurs. Using the multidisciplinary knowledge and skills gained through the program, I will provide startups with the resources and support they need to grow the businesses or projects into sustainable companies that employ people and solve local problems in Nigeria and Africa. The incubator will focus on training youths, entrepreneurs, students, researchers, technologists, and other stakeholders using technology to build transformative solutions. This will lead to clusters of creative minds and also enhance the city's entrepreneurial culture. My initiative will be a small but vital step towards developing Impact Entrepreneurship in Nigeria and Africa to contribute to achieving the global goals. Living and studying in different countries provides an exciting opportunity to gain a better cultural understanding of the world and experience different approaches to solving problems which will give me new perspectives, ideas, and solutions to Africa's problems. As a strong advocate of following a practical pedagogy of learning, the EMMIE out-of-class modules of field trips, seminars, case studies, and internships are a strong motivation to apply to this program. This scholarship will help me have an excellent education in three European countries, as well as apply the knowledge gained to create sustainable and innovative businesses in Nigeria. For years now, I have worked as a fashion entrepreneur which I also used to support myself financially while studying. I want to use the skills and knowledge from this program to create an innovative venture to contribute to sustainable fashion thereby reducing climate change and creating more jobs for people.

One of the things I'm most proud of is my volunteering activities. Passionate about technology, entrepreneurship, and the SDGs, I have volunteered for numerous social projects to equip youths with entrepreneurship, work readiness, financial and digital literacy skills. Currently, I volunteer at Bluvard Leadership Initiative as the Assistant Team Lead on Project Digital Rural to train youths in digital skills. I believe my past academic, work, and volunteering experience and my deep interest in Entrepreneurship and Innovation would make me a valuable asset to all Consortium partner Universities and my future classmates.

Thank you for considering my application.
Had you actually bothered to find out what the background, focus, target, and expectations of this program was, then you would not have written a 4 page motivation letter when you should have produced only 1 page. 5 informative paragraphs focusing on:

1. A specific SDG related to environmental entrepreneurship for the intro, the incubation project should have already started at this point.
2. What you have done to achieve it so for and achievements of the working project
3. What your future goals related to the specific SDG are
4. How the promises of this program inspire and motivate you.

Stick to the actual requirements as specified. There actually are required information for the letter. It is not a free for all in terms of content. You just did not care to find out and be sure about it.
OP jeoo 1 / 1  
Hi Holt. Thank you for your help.

However, I do not think that we are talking about the same scholarship. There's a separate document to talk about the projects that I am working on, or the ones I want to work on and how they relate to the SDGs. And this is a new program on the catalog, so the website is not that extensive. There is NO prompt for the motivation letter.

Thank you for your help

Home / Scholarship / MSC IN IMPACT ENTREPRENEURSHIP