The UK as one of world-leading higher education system has a lot to offer in Indonesia. Career Plan

bnrdhmsnt 4 / 14 5  

Chevening Essay : Post-Study Career Plan

Chevening is looking for individuals who have a clear post-study career plan. Please outline your immediate plans upon returning home and your longer-term career goals.

You may wish to consider how these relate to what the UK government is doing in your country.
(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words
)

Dear Friends, please kindly help me to review my essay on post study career plan. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated :)

The collaboration of UK and Indonesia in higher educational sector has been established in quite a long time. UK works along with government, universities, research institutions, individuals and ministries in Indonesia to share examples of good practice in order to help develop expertise in certain areas such as policy, leadership, employability, career development, also academic research. Some agreements has been made between universities in two respective countries. Ranging from double degree program, establishing doctoral training centre, as well as teaching and research cooperation are among programs which initiated based on UK and Indonesia partnership.

After finishing my master study and returning to my home country, I will continue my career as a junior lecturer in University currently I am working for. I will spend my first year to do some research about mental health in the workplace, the area which I am interested in. In doing the research, I'll make a collaboration some of my former colleagues when I studied in UK, and establishing international researches cooperation. As such way, I can publish my research in international journal and hopefully disseminate the result in international conference as well. This activities will have a significant positive contribution in increasing the education quality in my institution.

Following the research activities on mental health, I am planning on handling courses about mental health at the workplace for bachelor degree student. I will invite my international research partner to give some lectures about mental health in the workplace, so my students will be exposed into an evidence-based lecture. Hopefully, this activities will become a stimulant to grow the students research interest and empower them to at least aware and make a promoting activities on mental health issues, especially in workplace.

Currently my senior colleagues in Faculty are establishing community mental health research group. This newly established research group members are comprise of lecturers from community health, psychiatry, and psychology in my home university. I think the range of field which are involved is good enough. However, it will become better if we can engage many experts from different field or even more, countries. So, upon the completion of my master degree, I'll try to make use of my networking connection in UK to attract them to join and make a contribution in the aforementioned group. I will also initiate some campaign activities to promote issues that the group concern about. The output of the research group itself also expected to become an evidence-based tools to advocate and solve the mental health issue in general to the policy maker.

The UK as one of world-leading higher education system has a lot to offer in Indonesia. With sharing lessons and experience, Indonesia will have chance to learn from and reforming National Higher Education System towards internationalization. In turn, Indonesian will ready to compete with other countries in knowledge-based economy. Chevening scholarship will become a key which open many opportunities to improve higher education quality in my institution, and also Indonesia in general.

(496 words)
Binari, your discussion of the UK collaboration in reference to your professional development is not as solid as it should be. You make mere references to unnamed collaborators in an effort to make the most out of you UK connections. You are not clearly defining how you plan to do this. A membership that you plan to pursue in a UK based educational organization in your university would be a good start. Since you claim that the UK is actively participating in the educational system of your country, then your university should have solid exchange programs or partnerships in organizations that could help you fulfill a solid UK Post study cooperation activity. Before you finalize this essay, ask your current university about the potential for you to join any of the UK organizations that the university is partnered with post studies. Ask them to suggest a particular organization in line with your educational interests for your country that may be able to help you deliver a solid collaboration idea regarding the further heightening of the educational standard in your university. All of your plans are good and solid. As with all other post study plan for a Chevening scholarship, the weakness of the post study plan comes from the oversight on the part of the applicant regarding UK based activities in your home country.
FatemahEbrahimi 5 / 11  
Dear Binari, your career plan is admirable for me, but, what I think is important in career plan, is to show how can engage with UK base projects in your country after your return. You already have mentioned that which projects UK have in your country. So try to make linkage between your post-plan and these projects.
OP bnrdhmsnt 4 / 14 5  
Thank's for your advice @Holt. I'll revise it accordingly.

@FatemahEbrahimi I really appreciate your suggestion. I'll do some research to find the linkage soon :)

Home / Scholarship / The UK as one of world-leading higher education system has a lot to offer in Indonesia. Career Plan