Supporting Statement for AAS-Part 1: Proposed Course and Institution - Comm. and Media Studies

maulanaws 1 / 1  
Hi, I would like any feedback or evaluation of the following part of my essay. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Why did you choose your proposed course and institution?

I have been interested in the field of communication since the late semester of my undergraduate program. This is reflected in my undergraduate thesis which studies the use of euphemism as a public communication strategy which is important for social control in times of crisis e.g. Covid-19 pandemic. I realise that exploring knowledge in this field is becoming my priority step to develop into an impactful and resilient individual with relevant skills and expertise to participate in the development of Indonesia in public sector reform. After doing some research online: looking for related journals, syllabi, and curriculum, I decided to choose the programs below for my master's degree.

Master of Global Media Communication at the University of Melbourne provides relevant and critical insights into the emerging digital culture that swift audiences to become more borderless. That is why critical analysis, strategic thinking, research, and practical skills in communication practices and media structures that this Master's course provides are the key competencies for social stability and also relevant for my future career development. Dedicated core subjects, e.g. Change in Journalism, Digital Politics, and Political Economy of Digital Life will help me to broaden my capabilities to adapt, analyse, and think critically for practicing strategic public communication.

Master of Communication at the University of Queensland provides knowledge and skills in wide-ranged application of communication strategies, such as community development, public relations, intercultural relations, and globalisation. This Master course also offers opportunities with two streams field of study with various courses e.g. Communication Campaigns which focus to develop skills necessary to design strategic communication campaigns; Issues and Crisis Management which includes practical skills: environmental scanning, issue mapping, and crisis communication planning which will complete my understanding.
The reasons why the courses and universities were chosen are incomplete and confusing at best. There was an unnecessary discussion point presented in the overall first paragraph. So the overall essay does not really represent usable information on the part of the screener. You may want to reconsider the textbook, almost cut and paste course descriptions you have here. Try to better relate your interests in the courses with your perceived career advancement or plans. What shortcomings do you hope to address by completing these courses? Why did you opt to study in Australia as well? Surely you could have taken your masters course in your home country. I do not really see any pressing need for you to study overseas in your response presentation. Think of the responses you want to give. Be more personal and open with the screener. Make him believe that you have no other choice but to seek education overseas.
OP maulanaws 1 / 1  
Thank you so much, that is really helpful.

Home / Scholarship / Supporting Statement for AAS-Part 1: Proposed Course and Institution - Comm. and Media Studies