My unforgettable experiences at the private school; letter of self-introduction (KGSP)

Bluemoom 2 / 11 2  
letter of self-introduction (KGSP)

active and caring student

Hello! I am applying for KGSP and I have to write a letter of self-introduction, I am running out of time so please review it for me .

Thank you in advance .

My name is*** I am*** years old from***. I was born and raised in a city called*** to a middle class family. My parents have always motivated and supported me and pushed me towards achieving my goals and dreams, they are the ones who made me the person I am today. Since I was young, they never hesitated to provide me with anything I need or ask for, so I have made a promise that I will do my best to make them very proud of me. I have grown up filled with motivation and enthusiasm, which I believe had a significant role in making me an active, positive and a girl full of dreams and hopes. A girls who no matter what would happen, would never give up. I always try hard to overcome any obstacle that would come across me, because I believe that being armed with hope and positive attitude, would always be effective against any difficulties, in the end, life's trials and challenges always contribute in the success of any person.

During my years of middle and high school, I have never come number one in my class; however, I have always been among students who are active and caring for their classes, and as I always get myself involved in any of the discussions and activities made in my classes by my teachers, I always received compliments from them.

My passion for learning languages made me choose to study foreign languages at my high school, where I studied French, English, Germany, along with my mother language ***. I excelled in all these languages except for Germany because it was a little bit hard for me. Though I loved studying all these language, but I have always liked English over the others, that's why I enrolled to a private school of English in order to improve my English skills. At that school, I had the chance to try things that I have never expected I would ever do in my life, such as: acting out plays, doing presentations and monologues in front of a lot of people which made me gain more confident and be even more motivated .

My unforgettable experiences at that private school made me choose to study English language at university without any hesitation hoping to explore more about this language.

I endured my university studies two years ago and this is supposed to be the last as a bachelor student. The previous two years of English study made know more about English language, where I fell in love with the English literature as I had the chance to analyse a couple of literary works which introduced to me the different historical background that stands behind every work as well as the English culture which I enjoyed so much, and hence, I decided to study English literature at my masters in order to expend more knowledge about it.

Korea have always been my dream country since I was in middle school, I have always been attracted by its culture, and always thought of it as a great country that is full of energy and hard working and as being a dynamic country. I always been amazed by how Korean people are always optimistic and how they appreciate certain values such as respect, duty, and honour , without forgetting the different types of food that became now famous all around the world and that is considered to be healthiest food ever. I have always wanted to visit Korea one day to explore all the beautiful and amazing things by myself.

I found about KGSP last year, I felt so excited and really wanted to apply but I was still in my second year. I longed for such opportunity to come where I finally can apply for the scholarship. What makes me get even more excited was the one-year Korean language study, because I already started started leaning Korean by myself last year.

I believe that this scholarship will grant me with everything I need to achieve my dreams and though it is not an English speaking country, I am sure that I will benefit a lot from studying at a Korean university, because Korean universities gained very good reputation around the world.

To me, KGSP will be an extra ordinary experience that I would love to try, it is like an adventure where I will get to discover so many things , and like a dream that finally will come true.
You need to provide a background on your mother and father. Their occupation and the possible influence that they had on you. You need to expand on your family background a little bit more. There is no need to explain your interest in languages because you are not enrolling as a Linguistics major. By the way, the language is German. The country is Germany. The early education and high school background is unnecessary at this point. What you have to work on, is the presentation of your professional experience as an English major. What sort of internships or professional work have you done that relates to the major you have chosen. If you do not have any experience professionally to speak of, then your application will be incomplete and will not be considered as a contender in the first round of reviews. If you miss out on a single requirement for the first round, you will weaken your application greatly. I did not read any professional experience related to the English language in your profile and this worries me immensely. You are applying right after college, while all of your competitors will have years of experience under their belt. They will be better qualified than you. So what makes you think that you should be given an opportunity to study in Korea when there are those who are better qualified than you for the slot? Do not explain about how you found out about the KGSP program and other nonsense. That is nonsense because it does not fit in the profile of the prompt requirements. Don't try to flatter the reviewer because you have weak qualifications. That will not work. Even your reason for studying in Korea is terribly weak. The only suggestion I can give you in order to try and improve your chances for consideration in the first round is to read the other self introduction letters here. Specially the ones concerned with an English masters degree. Learn from their presentation, but do not plagiarize them. Figure out how, based on their examples, you can improve your own presentation and chances for consideration.
Fab 3 / 5 5  
Hello Moon!
I think that your letter doesn't answer exactly the questions required for the KGSP program (and please, could you post the prompt? I know it because I am preparing for it as well but other people who might help you, maybe do not ^^ ).

I think you should skip the part about middle school, you should focus on what made you passionate about english language and what experiences you had. For the same reasons I do not see the need of mentioning that German is not your strong point.

Also, when you speak about Korea I would add some more info on why you think that a non-english speaking country can provide you with the knowledge to progress in this field, try to make a very good point!

The paragraph speaking of Korea itself is not that bad, just try to separate the concepts of values and food with a full stop, I think they do not fit in the same sentence so try to dedicate one each.

Lastly, it's not my place to speak about grammar because I am no native speaker, but you kept writing Germany (nation name) instead of German (Language name).

I hope this helped you a bit :)
OP Bluemoom 2 / 11 2  
So, I need to talk more about my family, delete the thing about my high school and replace it with my experience at university, and then find better reasons for studying in Korea. Right!?

What about my experience at that private school!? I had some sort of professional experience there last year (kind of) it was a teaching training , should I talk about it?

@Fab
Thank you :) I will edit it :)
Yes, you understood my instructions perfectly. As for the work experience, you should share everything that you can which can translate into a professional experience. Explain what the work was all about, how you ended up doing it, and what you learned from the experience that has led you to the realization that you need to study English further. If this was all about teacher training, then tie it in somehow with your motivation to study in Korea. You want to learn more about English lit and other related subjects right? Connect the dots when it comes to those things. Try to figure out why you think that studying in Korea instead of in an English language country is the best option for you as a masters student. Remember, Korean lit is different from English lit so you have to find a highly convincing reason for your reason to study in Korea.
OP Bluemoom 2 / 11 2  
what do you think about this? I edited it :)

My name is*** I am*** years old from***. I was born and raised in a city called*** to a middle class family. My father used to work in the hospital before he retired, he used to work as a head of service, my mother is a housewife, and I have got three brothers and three sisters. My parents have always motivated and supported me and pushed me towards achieving my goals and dreams, they are the ones who made me the person I am today. (...)
The revised essay works. It contains all of the necessary information for the reviewer to consider your application. While the internship / training that you had does not really qualify as personal experience as it was done during a training period only, it is the best that you can come up with. It might, I am not sure, but it might be considered some sort of experience by the reviewer. Your background is concise and shows a logical development of your interests.

Some points for adjustment still exist. For instance, do not tell the reviewer that Korea has been your dream country since Middle School. That is not a valid reason for wishing to study in Korea. A valid reason falls more along the lines of wishing to immerse yourself in a world that is not known to you. The later part of that paragraph about your fascination with the culture, traditions, and people of Korea will be sufficient enough to stand as the reason for your desire to study in Korea.

Your final paragraph is unnecessary in this essay. You need not plead your case because the reviewer will not base your acceptance on the pleadings of the applicant but rather, on the qualifications that you present for consideration. So, rather than adding to the weakness of the self introduction, strengthen it by closing the letter on the point about your interest in Korea. You may only add a paragraph after that if you are applying through the university track. That is because you need to also discuss why you chose this particular university to apply for admission to. Otherwise, just close it with the discussion about Korea.
OP Bluemoom 2 / 11 2  
So all in all, I just need to delete the part stating that Korea has been my dream country since middle school, and delete the final paragraph then my essay will be ready right!?
Yes. Just delete the portions I indicated in my response # 8 and the essay should be in its final form. I have already proof read the essay and revised it as best as can be done within the context of your essay. There is no other work left to be done on the paper. That is, as far as I am concerned. It would be best if you also do a final read through of your paper to make sure that you are fully satisfied with what you have written and developed. Bear in mind that what I consider to be the final version may be different from yours. So if you think that there is still more work to be done, then just let me know so we can continue the work. However, if you think the same as me, that this paper is ready, then you don't even have to ask me to approve the final edited form. You just have to set it aside while you develop the other 2 essays. Keep it in the ready to submit file because that is exactly what this essay is, ready to submit.
OP Bluemoom 2 / 11 2  
Okay then :) thank so so so so much for your help :)
OP Bluemoom 2 / 11 2  
this is the final essay, I have made all the changes you asked me so please review it for the last time before I print it :3

thanks in advance .
My name is*** I am **years old from **, I was born and raised in a city called *** to a middle class family. My father used to work in the hospital before he retired, he used to work as a head of service, my mother is a housewife, and I have got three brothers and three sisters. My parents have always motivated and supported me and pushed me towards achieving my goals and dreams, they are the ones who made me the person I am today. Since I was young, they never hesitated to provide me with anything I needed or asked for, they always support my decisions and the choices I make, so I have made a promise that I will do my best to make them very proud of me. I have grown up filled with motivation and enthusiasm, which I believe had a significant role in making me an active, positive and a girl full of dreams and hopes. A girl who no matter what would happen, would never give up. I always try hard to overcome any obstacle that would come across me, because I believe that being armed with hope and positive attitude would always be effective against any difficulties, after all, life's trials and challenges always contribute in the success of any person.

Learning foreign languages have always been something I love to do; I especially loved English so much the thing that made enroll to a private school of English in my home town, where I fell in love with it more, I got to know more about the English language and as I got to do plenty of class presentations, monologues, and acting out plays in front of hundreds of people, I enjoyed every single moment of learning English. As a result, my unforgettable experiences at that private school made me choose to study English language at university without any hesitation hoping to explore more about this language.

I endured my university studies two years ago and this is supposed to be the last as a bachelor student. The previous two years of English study made know more about English language, though I have never been number one in my class, I have always received compliments from my teachers, as I get myself involved in every class discussion or any activities that is made by my teachers. Throughout the previous two years of studying English at university, I fell in love with the English literature as I had the chance to analyze a couple of literary works which introduced to me the different historical background that stands behind every work as well as the English culture which I enjoyed so much, and hence, I decided to study English literature at my masters in order to expend more knowledge about it.

Last year, I have been chosen along with other 11 girls to get a special teacher training at that private school, where we took different types of courses concerning teaching, as well as preparing a couple of lessons made by us, and last summer, they gave us the chance to organize an educational camp where we were in charge of everything, and each of us had a group of students where we guided them and gave them some lessons as well as getting them involved in different types of activities. This experience had a great impact on me as I have learned a lot from it, I got to know how hard teaching can be and at the same time how great it can be, I learned how to be patient especially when it comes to teaching young learners, and that a teacher should take into consideration a lot of things before teaching, such as having knowledge not only in his field but to expand his knowledge a little bit more. This experience made me want to be a teacher so that I can have the chance to teach English especially to young learners using great methods and fill my classroom with enthusiasm and work hard to make my student learn at perfect conditions.

Korea has always been my dream country ever since, I have been attracted by its culture, and I always thought of it as a great country that is full of energy and hardworking and as being a dynamic country. It amazes me how Korean people are optimistic and how they appreciate certain values such as respect, duty, and honor. In addition to this, there is the great different types of food that became famous all around the world, and which is considered to be healthiest food ever. I have always wanted to visit Korea one day to explore all the beautiful, amazing and marvelous things by myself.
Like I said, you need not have asked for my approval for this essay. I already pre-approved it based upon the remaining edits that I advised you to undertake. You applied the changes, it finalized the content of the essay. This is as ready as it can be for use on your end. There is nothing more to be done at this point. It is as good as it can be. The grammar reflects your actual English abilities and mindset, all of which helped to make this essay an interesting read. Your voice and discussions are clear enough to be understood and relate to the prompt. Now is the best time to stop with the revisions of this paper. It is good to go. It's ready to be submitted. Move on to the next two essays that are required as part of your application now.
OP Bluemoom 2 / 11 2  
Alright then :) thank you so much :)

Home / Scholarship / My unforgettable experiences at the private school; letter of self-introduction (KGSP)