"I am young and I too have dreams" - NTU Scholarship Essay

SirNeutron 2 / 1 1  
TOPIC: Describe, in less than 300 words, a short essay on a subject of personal importance to you. You may choose any topic. Examples include: an event which has influenced you or a family member/friend/person who had a significant influence on you. (less than 300 words)

"I only have an hour or so," I said to myself.

Children from many parts of India, including me, were doing the impossible. With only sixteen hours left for the Board Examinations, Maharashtra received an enormous load shedding leading to a black out. With only an hour of power left in the inverter I rushed along, revising my Mathematics syllabus.

The doorbell rang. It was my neighbour Akshay with his mother, Mrs Harlalka.

"We ran out of power, would you mind if Akshay studies at your home?" asked Mrs Harlalka.

There were three of my friends studying in my home already. Nonetheless, we took him in. A few moments later, the lights started flickering. The inverter was almost drained. We had a mutual understanding that it was about time to light up the candles. Straining our eyes in the dim light, we kept on studying with the burden of the exams on our back.

I clenched my report card in my hand, tears rolling down my eyes.

"Merit Certificate," it stated in the card, "For exceptional performance in the Board Examination."

I looked up in the sky, it was a sunny day. But I had not forgotten the event that took place four months ago.

"Wouldn't it be delightful if the blackout didn't occur that day?"

It was Akshay. We looked at each other agreeing on the facts.
Conservation of energy resources, that is what I want to work on. All these years living in India I have come to understand that not only is it a place of many people but also a place of many dreams. I am young and I too have dreams. A dream which empowers people with a future untouched by the crisis of energy.

That is my dream.
Children from many parts of India, including me, were doing the impossible.

Children from many parts of India, including me, were preparing for the impossible.

Nonetheless, we took him in.

Nonetheless, we accommodated him too.

... well.... you somehow managed with a merit pass, so I don't find this sentence is really fitting with the idea. I wish you present it differently to get a better flow for your response. I mean, you could have said more details about how dreadful that experience was, the difficulty it put you in. Then connect this idea.

Home / Scholarship / "I am young and I too have dreams" - NTU Scholarship Essay