Home / Student Talk % width Posts: 52

How to enhance my English?

farajollahi 1 / 5  
Hi there,I am not a native one so it is difficult to remember whatever I learnt before.I need help.I decided to start books such az grammar in use and vocabulary in use to enhance my english.Is there any teacher here to solve my problems.
sonusamuel - / 1  
Hi, i am unable to frame perfect sentences after been struggling so much with all the grammar work. please suggest me how to use prepositions and articles in my sentences...
OP farajollahi 1 / 5  
hi sonusamuel, to be honest I have the same problem.what kind of books have you study so far?
ken99m 5 / 9  
A Practical English Grammar by Thomas & Martinet

for me, it was a perfect book.
shery 3 / 8  
i am not native ,and i have also move to USA since July 2011. I read fundamentals of English grammar .third edition by Betty Schrampfer Azar. I think this book help me a lot
shery 3 / 8  
I also find this website, I think it helps you... English page.
monjinho 2 / 1  
You need to understand the basic grammar and composition part of English if you want to enhance your 'grammar skills'.
If you are more concerned about sounding natural, speaking like a native, one of the options is actually living in an English speaking community and learning how fluent English speakers speak.

Tons of resources are available on google if you are looking for ways on improving your vocabulary.
For vocabs, if you are in the intermediate level, I suggest you read the SAT word book. Even though they are made for a different purpose, they can improve your vocabs impressively.

Reading books, any books, is also a good way to improve your vocabs.
Good luck!
unjh4545 4 / 11  
well in my case, since I love watching TV series (american), I do watch them with english subtitles. NOT my own language. You can listen better and understand better. And, you will learn some good and useful idioms or words that you can use in your real life. I don't know weather it will work for you or not but in my case it did.

I did study english for a long time and since my first english teacher was american, my pronunciation is pretty good though I do have accent from my language... but learning to speak or listen better, I got lots of help from TV.

my friend told me that CNN is much better but CNN is boring... because it is all News as you know.

Good luck!!!!
Van19602 1 / 2  
Hi, why don't you try using online sites to help. you can find lots just by typing in on google 'learn english online free'.

Hope that helps :)
kabir1 1 / 3  
Hi, you can use 'High School English Grammar and Composition' by Wren and Martin.
It helped me a lot in both sentence formation as well as grammar basics.
OP farajollahi 1 / 5  
thanks alot my dear friends :)
ohemgee 1 / 2  
It's one thing to get the books to learn, but PRACTICE. Understand the concept, or the point the book makes about grammar etc and apply it everyday and practice.
applenjuice 2 / 3  
Watch A LOT OF movies. that's what I do. good luck!
MyDear04 - / 2  
HOW TO BE GOOD IN ENGLISH ?

Hi everyone !
I'm new here and I'm really happy to be a member of this forum ..
My big problem is I can't go to school right now because of my family financial . I really want to learn new things even if it's hard . It was really sad to see people going to school everyday , make friend and do homeworks together .. I'd be so happy if everyone in this forum would help me in ENGLISH .. I'm from Vietnam so my english is really poor .. Grammar , vocabulary , even writing .. I'm waiting for your respond . THANK YOU SO MUCH !
bldblade 2 / 9  
I'm foreign, as well, and I'm taking English Comp I this year. Textbooks have helped me a lot.
I have heard this said many times and seen it written here in the forum...If you want to learn English better, read, read, read! Read anything you enjoy, and you'll get great at it. Your English seems pretty great already, you'll be fine. Hopefully you can soon get back into school! Good luck and have fun!

:)
goku123 8 / 16  
In my view, you can acquire some information, such as CNN student news or TED, on the internet and practice by yourself.
I am not sure if I have the right to share some links to you here, while I think you can bake a good job!
MyDear04 - / 2  
do you have Facebook ?! you can send me the link in private message :) i'd love to
diyman21 - / 3  
hi mydear04, first welcome..:)
ı am like you, new member and have a poor english :) if you want we can be friend on msn or facebook to improve english, for practice.
John9041 3 / 6  
Rosetta Stone is great software to learn to read and write a new language. It can start out easy and grows with your newly acquired skills.
fletcherj003 - / 6  
I recommend reading a lot... but it doesn't have to be books, it can be an article online, a magazine.... try to build your vocabulary and never stop thinking, thinking a lot keeps your brain intuitive.
othonlima 3 / 4  
Hello,

First off all congratulations for your will.

READ! This is a news website, very good! All subjects, easy and useful English!
time.com/time/

LISTEN! Great website with thousands audios!
elllo.org

WRITE! Have fun here in this forum, write down some essay and post, so we can correct!
essayforum.com

Also try to watch some series or movie without subtitles or with English subtitles! For sure it will help you A LOT!
And enjoy (:

I hope I have helped you!!!
Hi Trinh,
i was once in your situation and i figured the solution.It better to start reading because that will enhance your vocabulary.
xitrona 4 / 11  
watch many english movies :)
Ilaria 1 / 1  
Hi
we are many in the same situation!
But we all want to learn and improve our English.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
welnorze 8 / 15  
try to speak in english as much as possible and think in english as well

good luck
readerxmog 2 / 2  
read lots of books novel and newspapers. if you can find a book called students companion and english made easy i hope it will work for you

good luck!!!
samenmohammad 10 / 19  
I'm sure some sources are great but I think nobody could be better than a specific level without tutor or some classes.
Good Luck
samenmohammad 10 / 19  
I recently found a special videos, called "English Today". They are a great collection of about 30 lesions and after each one a perfect teacher learn you somethings about that. I think these collections are better that movies.

Good Luck
hairpin - / 1  
Hi Trinh
i'm a new member and i 'm vietnamese too. i have a problem like you. my english is so bad. you can't go to school but i think you can study at home. it 's not easy but if you 're patient , you will be success. Good luck.
chuva 3 / 9  
I have some questions, I think I tend to study English in the past 4 years, but I always forget what I leaned, such as vocabulary... someone have good idea for studying English?
lyao1690 2 / 1  
For the vocabulary problem, I guess you could try out some useful software designed for memorizing words.
tcl1120 9 / 27  
This is a life-long discussion topic and I am also struggling in English learning.

Personally, I think that language is a communication media, while daily practice is indispensable. I would like to invite a partner to learn and practice English with me in my hometown. Unfortunately, all of them are charged.

Anyway, I have motivation to learn English and the progressive improvement makes me full of sense of achievement.

Cheers!~
Vanesha 1 / 3  
@farajollahi

Same here, Im also struggling in learning English, especially when it come to grammar. But you can start it from the most fun way, for instance, start it with watching your favourite movies in English, or read your favourite book in English. However, if your want to go serious in study English, (for TOEFL or IELTS) then you need to go further and join an English course.

Good luck!
anthonyphan 2 / 4  
Hi my friends, the question here really is how bad do you want it. I am no native but I think that one could achieve anything, if you pour your heart and soul in it. Just try to learn english like a baby. Together try hard mate.
Kirote 1 / 3 1  
In my opinion, first you need to know what is the purpose of learning here. Then, you need to stick to your most comfortable writing and speaking styles. gradually, you will master English.
julialisboa 1 / 5  
My suggestion is READ, READ, READ. I learned everything by myself, mainly playing videogames with lots of texts to it (such as Resident Evil 1, or other visual novels).

I did that all before reading too much into grammar, so I could feel what's wrong or right instead of just learning the rules and not knowing how they work or how to identify them.
TaraAryal23 4 / 12  
@farajollahi
There are no any teacher to guarantee your english improvement. You should rather focus on reading articles, writing on their own without loss of meaning of each sentence. Know the words, know the way they have written.

For speaking, you have to record what you talk, practice and record, practice and record. Try to focus on your strong point first and then move towards your weakest area.
Mailan94 - / 1  
Merged:

Say Hi to everyone. Help me improve my English skills

Hi everyone, I am new here. Now I am trying my best to practice more in IELTS writing. So, I hope that you all can help me to improve my writing skill.

I am grateful to get some advice from all of you
ashy3838 1 / 5  
@farajollahi
Hi! You should expose yourself to the language by listening, reading and watching in English. After learning some grammar rules, you might try to make sentences by using those rules and try to talk to yourself in English.

Home / Student Talk / How to enhance my English?