Art school admissions personal statement (applying for fashion design)

jayd2561 1 / 1  
"Personal statement. CCAD requires each applicant to submit a 500-word personal essay. You should explain your artistic, academic, and career goals, and why you chose CCAD to achieve your goals."

I've worked some on this, but I've always felt that I'm horrible at writing about myself, so I was hoping to get some critique on what i've written so far. this is by no means complete.

"Ever since I was old enough to hold a crayon, visual art has been a significant part of my life. As I grew older, my interests changed constantly but I always returned to art. Being homeschooled, I had a lot of solitary time that I spent dabbling in various forms and mediums of art trying find something I connected with. I tried everything from graphics and web design and photography, before I finally tried sewing. Sewing had just the right balance between creativity, skill, and technical know-how to keep me hooked.

I spent a couple years developing my sewing skills, before getting serious about learning the art of designing and making clothes. Learning to make your own clothes is rewarding beyond belief, the moment when you try something on for the first time is amazing, there's nothing like the feeling you get when you're wearing something you created with your own hands. The whole fashion design process fascinates me, from bring my designs to fruition, to finding or creating the perfect accessories, hair, and makeup. But while I love the artistic side of fashion design, I'm also very fascinated by the technical aspects of making clothes as well. With every project I strive to make my clothes as pretty on in the inside as they are on the outside.

But let's go back to the beginning, to the time when I first started developing an interest in fashion. Until I was about thirteen or fourteen, I was a complete and utter tomboy. I didn't care about my clothes, or my appearance in general. But then one day, I up and decided that I wanted to cut my near waist-length hair to what my mother considered incredibly short. I decided to cut it off anyway, and now that I had a new, fun hairstyle I became more and more interested in fashion. Granted now when I look back at old photographs I always think, "How did I think that looked cool?" but still, ever since then my love affair with fashion has only grown. I love the way clothes can make you feel, and I want my clothes to make people feel great and look gorgeous.

One of the highlights of my artistic life took place when I wore one of my dresses to a concert; I was approached by a couple who worked for a teenage clothing brand who wanted pictures of my outfit. They were surprised when I told them I made the dress myself.

This past summer I took a summer class at CCAD for fashion design, during this time I was on the fence about whether or not I wanted to pursue fashion design as a serious career. I had a fantastic time taking the class, I loved being in the studio and being in the company of other creative people. A few months later I took a tour of the campus, I was so impressed by the campus. I already felt inspired and excited about college. I was then absolutely positive I wanted to attend CCAD.

I am very eager to attend CCAD, I can't see myself doing anything other than art for a career. The very idea of spending my life doing something I love is so exciting, I can hardly wait for the rest of my life to begin. I'm very much looking forward to furthering my artistic skills, developing my style, and creating a career out of my art."

also excuse any grammatical/spelling errors, I haven't proofread what i've got so far yet.
Andrijanto 1 / 1  
I think your PS is comprehensive and strong...but I suggest you should explore why fashion design is attracting your interest...
Let's not say you had a lot of free time, because it sounds like your homschooling as not rigorous:

Being homeschooled, I had a lot of solitary time that I spent dabbling in many different various forms and mediums of art, trying find something I connected with.

For this central message, maybe we want to name something more specific than just "art."
"Ever since I was old enough to hold a crayon, visual art has been a significant part of my life. --- adding detail like this makes the essay not-so-general.

this is the kind of sentence tha needs a semi-colon:
One of the highlights of my artistic life was took place when I wore one of my dresses to a concert; I was approached by a couple who worked for a teenage clothing brand, they were quite surprised when I told them I made the dress myself.
OP jayd2561 1 / 1  
Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it! I've since revised quite a bit of my essay and got it up to the required word count.
I like the new material, and I like, especially, the transition backward with the sentence that starts with: But lets...

Nice job, this will be a big success, I think.

Home / Undergraduate / Art school admissions personal statement (applying for fashion design)