"Asian Americans and the glass ceiling" - Prompt #1 UC APPL

swt_babiigrl 1 / 2  
For over 200 years, Asian Americans have been denied equal rights, had their rights revoked, and faced harassment and hostility in a country that is known for its freedom. At his inaugural speech, President Bill Clinton stated that "the divide of race has been American's constant curse. Each new wave of immigrant gives new target to old prejudices." Hearing this quote for the first time made me realize that I knew nothing about my heritage, about the history of my people and about their experience in the United States. Although my high school did not offer Asian American Studies, I decided to become more involved in the Asian American community in order to learn about the history that is left untold. As a result, the rich cultural heritage and the neglected history of Asian Americans have sparked my interest to further pursue a major in Asian American Studies.

My involvement began back in 2002 when I volunteered to work with the elders who were secluded to the slums of downtown. I grew up in Seattle, also known as one of the most hyper-segregated cities in America, and it seemed that these senior citizens were trapped within a refinement known as Chinatown. This experience helped me learn that even though these citizens were Americans, they were not allowed the same rights and treatment as "other" citizens. I came to learn that they have come a long way to live in a country that would not allow them to be free. Some were put in internment camps and some even had ancestors who built the transcontinental railroad. Asian people have struggled every since they first step foot onto US soil and seemingly are still struggling to survive everyday life. It seems that the history of Asians never made it to the high school student's curriculum, but the stories that I heard were astounding and eye opening.

As my interest in my culture blossomed, I began to focus my attention to the success of Asian American Professionals and hate crimes. After joining the National Association of Asian American Professionals, I became surrounded by people who, with the support of the community, have broken through the glass ceiling. Getting to know politicians along with professionals has taught me that even with disadvantages; I can accomplish anything with a good education, a solid goal, and an unfaltering determination. My interest in hate crimes have also evolved since 2008 due to the fact that one of my close friends was shot down by the La Habra police for supposedly refusing arrest. Since the police stated that he was refusing arrest, they shot him ten times and killed him on the spot. I wondered if the police was doing what they were supposed to, then why did the FBI confiscate the only videotape of what happened that day. Hate crimes and the achievements of Asians in society has fueled my curiosity and helped expand my awareness of societal issues.

My interest in Asian American studies has intensely developed over the past several years through volunteering, involvement in the National Asian American Professionals foundation, and through personal experiences. Growing up, I was not exposed to my culture much, so it has been a very big culture shock to be able to be around other people in the community who can share their experiences, their knowledge, and their histories.
OP swt_babiigrl 1 / 2  
Any suggestions would be great :) Thanks!
OP swt_babiigrl 1 / 2  
Prompt #1 (transfer applicants)
What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

Sorry there is the prompt.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

I have edited the first paragraph of your piece and included some general suggestions also:

"For over 200 years, Asian Americans have been denied equal rights, had their rights revoked, and faced harassment and hostility in a country that is known for its freedom. At his inaugural speech, President Bill Clinton stated that "T he divide of race has been American's constant curse. Each new wave of immigrant gives new target to old prejudices." Hearing this quote for the first time made me realize that I knew nothing about my heritage, about the history of my people and about their experience in the United States. Although my high school did not offer Asian American s tudies, I decided to become more involved in the Asian American community in order to learn about the history that is left untold. As a result, the rich cultural heritage and the neglected history of Asian Americans have sparked my interest to further pursue a major in Asian American studies ."

"...every since..." do you mean "ever" since?

Also, you could expound upon what you gained from your involvement with this group, as that really should be a focal point of your paper. Otherwise, I think it's a great response to the prompt. Good work!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / "Asian Americans and the glass ceiling" - Prompt #1 UC APPL