'my college drawing class' - Statement of interest for MCAD

kaabthekirby 1 / -  
In one or two pages, describe what brought you to apply to MCAD. What are your plans in five and ten years after graduation with a BFA degree or BSc degree?

In my own personal opinion, art can be almost any kind of human expression. Whether it is through creation, replication, or performance, art has virtually no boundaries or rules - in this sense, an artist can be anyone, and he or she is free to express themselves in any way they desire. As cliché as this may sound, art truly has the ability to bring to the surface underlying feelings some people don't know they even have. In my case, when I view a great piece of art, it's as almost if I can physically feel my heart growing with passion, which is interesting because I do not feel this way about anything else. This feeling is even stronger when I make my own creations. I can honestly say when I create my art, it is one of the only times I can sit down and feel at total ease with myself. Art, in any form, makes me feel alive. As the author Kurt Vonnegut said, "Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for Heaven's sake."

Some of my favorite mediums to work with include charcoal, pencil, and Photoshop. I also love experimenting with combining traditional and digital media, which is where my interest in pursuing a graphic design degree comes from. Back in January, I had a rare opportunity to visit New York City for five days. One of the first things I noticed while I was there was the phenomenal amount of culture and exploration of art within the city. The various graphic design pieces adorning the city's subway station walls, billboards, and museums was very motivational to me- creating thoughts that one day I too could be that NYC-based designer who's creating work for everyone to see. Living in a small town of 1,500 people for seven years, it was a huge eye opener as to the kind of opportunities that could arise for me. I am now completely determined to one day move to NYC and find success as a graphic designer after I graduate.

MCAD was originally an attractive school to me because of the city it's located in. I fell in love with Minneapolis after attending a birthday party in that area. Upon reading up on the success of the design program at MCAD, the supple amount of art funding in Minnesota, and reading about the experiences of MCAD students online, I knew I had to apply. Attending MCAD would be an absolutely wonderful opportunity for me to expand as an artist and learn as a designer as well as meet like-minded people. I realize I have enough experience with traditional drawing and digital painting to be able to enter the world of visual communications. I know if I were a student at this school I would be determined to push myself to the limits of what I am capable of. I am perfectly aware that being an artist is by no means easy and obtaining a career in the art field is very competitive; I have thought this over many times and I now know for certain I'm ready to challenge myself and to become the best I can ever be. I have experienced first-hand in my college drawing class that I have plenty of room for expansion, and I am ready to take it to the next level by becoming a student at MCAD.
As cliché as this may sound, art truly has the ability to bring to the surface underlying feelings some people don't even know they have.

In my case, when I view a great piece of art, it's as almost as if I can physically feel my heart growing with passion, ...

I can honestly say that when I create my art, it is one of the only times I can sit down and feel at total ease with myself.

I am perfectly aware that being an artist is by no means easy and that obtaining a career in the art field is very...

Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'my college drawing class' - Statement of interest for MCAD