Congressional Appointment Essay: The Most Serious Issue Facing our Military Today

335thomas 2 / 4  
"The Most Serious Issue Facing our Military Today"

I believe the most serious issue facing our military today is our inability to adequately protect US interests against Russia and their allies such as Iran and Venezuela.

Since 2005, Russia has launched a vast modernization and rearmament program with the goal of reestablishing itself as a global military power. Russia has some of the world's greatest energy reserves and they are among the world's top energy producers. With the unprecedented global demand for energy, Russia is profiting exponentially and can fund its current and future military program. This aside, Russia already has a family of fighter aircraft and surface to air and cruise missile systems that can defeat or neutralize some of best US warfare capabilities. Russia's Sukhoi family of fighters are superior to all US fighter jets save the F-22. Russia's S-400 surface to air missiles have a top speed of Mach 14.5 and can defeat stealth aircraft such as the F-22. Russia's supersonic BrahMos anti-ship missile can be fired from any platform at our aircraft carriers and our Navy has no plans to defend against it. Furthermore, Russia is providing high technology military hardware to its allies who are can use same to threaten the Straits of Hormuz and/or the Panama Canal and temporarily shut off oil flow to the United States. This could severely damage an already fragile US economy and draw us into a military confrontation with higher battle rate losses than we've ever been unwilling to accept.

Any advice?
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
I believe the most serious issue facing our military today is

just a thing about answering prompts, you don't have to repeat the prompt. Just answer, and directly state the most pressing "issue" that it faces.

Could go like this: The US is currently unable to adequately protect its interests against Russia and their allies, such as Iran and Venezuela. This situation presents a troubling dilemma of national security/military defense/something... < see how you can avoid repeating the Q? and make a strong point. However, I don't understand what you mean by "interests against Russia..."

and they are among the

and is* among the

some of the* best US warfare capabilities.
look over this> rewrite it make sense

allies who are can use same to

losses than we've ever been unwilling to accept.

I like how you connect the evidence of Russia's "warfare capabilities" with the claim at the end. One thing, try to connect the power issue with how Russia's military has another resource at its hands. Something about how it has the energy and the military might to place the US in a rock and a hard spot of another possible Cold War\

Cheers
Russia is profiting exponentially

I don't know if it is correct to say 'exponentially.'

Matt, this is very impressive! You should cite some sources to show where your information comes from. I don't know if this essay prompt requires citations, but really it is necessary and very impressive to cite the sources where the info comes from. Quote somebody who is an authority. As for the content, I think it is very god and persuasive. Thanks for sharing this!

Here is a place you need a comma:
Russia has some of the world's greatest energy reserves, and they are among the world's top energy producers. --- whenever you put 2 sentences together as a compound sentence, use a comma.

Also... it make this a stronger argument, you might want to contrast this issue against other pressing issues to show why it is the MOST serious.

Home / Undergraduate / Congressional Appointment Essay: The Most Serious Issue Facing our Military Today