"Personal Connections: Architecture and Campus Landmarks" - GWU Supplementary Essay

Cascara 1 / 3 1  
Here's the essay prompt:
Please tell us what excites you about being a member of the GW community. (500 word limit)

Here's my response:

One particular aspect of George Washington University that excites me the most is its plethora of campus landmarks. When I first learned about these landmarks, I immediately felt personal connections toward them.

During my childhood years, my parents would enjoy looking at open houses around the neighborhood and bring me along with them. As a result, I was exposed to many beautiful houses and began to enjoy their aesthetic appeal. This enjoyment gradually evolved into a penchant for watching HGTV and drawing houses in my spare time. Later on, I dreamed of being an architect in the future, with the ability to design magnificent homes. Such early ambitions tie in to George Washington's unique campus landmarks, which were constructed by architecture as well.

Even though I have outgrown my youthful desires and have moved on to other aspirations, architecture is still relevant to my current interests: art and science. Architecture is a bridge between the arts and sciences, two opposing fields of knowledge. The arts express creativity and manifest it in a beautiful manner. Likewise, architecture aims to create structures that are visually appealing. The sciences include mathematical computations that are important in architecture as well: such calculations are necessary for building accurate structures. Architecture is also related to my passion for writing. My writing style is very concise but flowery, much like the principles of architecture.

Furthermore, George Washington University has courses that can support my enthusiasm for the arts and sciences. George Washington has programs in engineering, medicine, and creative writing, three areas which interest me for my college education.

George Washington University's campus landmarks are reminiscent of its culture, but for me, they are reminder of my personal aspirations. These landmarks are all a product of architecture, a former desire which led me to form multiple reflections.

*my response is 301 words long- is it too short?*
Chigozie 13 / 22 2  
Your essay is nice. It will be great if you can also tie it to the rich history and diversity of the campus. This will polish it the more.
OP Cascara 1 / 3 1  
Thank you! I like how you said how I can make my essay longer. I appreciate it.

I'll return your favor.
:)

Home / Undergraduate / "Personal Connections: Architecture and Campus Landmarks" - GWU Supplementary Essay