Craving for Computer Science - Georgia Tech Essay

lramad2 3 / 17 2  
Question: What interests you about your selected program of study? ( Limit: 2000 characters (with space))

About two years ago, I came to know what computer science essentially was - a logical and analytical challenge to a human's thought process, by then I knew this was what I wanted to pursue in my life. I was drawn to the subject like a moth to a flame. Over the course of time, I strived to learn about programming and where it may possibly lead me. I studied C++ and python and worked with different softwares like QT Creator, Gazebo and ROS. Writing a long program and compiling it without errors, producing the pseudocode to a challenging question or finding that one bug which took me hours, these moments were most likely the greatest. They often instilled a feeling of progress and served the purpose of nurturing my passion for the subject.

A few months back, I attended the Reflections | Projections event held by UIUC. During Yisong Yue's presentation, I experienced the same feeling as I did two years back, a feeling of direction. I had finally found my calling; the ability to code something that could make far better decisions and predictions than mankind could ever dream of, one that would get exponentially better with time and data, Machine Learning. Machine learning is highly interdisciplinary; it's applied in domains such as sports analytics, data-driven animation, medicine, self-driving cars and even speech recognition.

Over the past century, computer science has both undergone an exponential growth and produced a revolutionary change in mankind's lifestyle. I'd like to be a driving force in this change. However, I possess only a few drops of this vast ocean of language. I believe that Georgia Tech, being one of the world's greatest research institutions, would be corner stone in me achieving the skill I require to tame the tides that I plan to face. Courses like Introduction to Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Natural Language Understanding, Knowledge-based AI, Game AI and Pattern Recognition offered in GT will prove crucial in paving my path to success.

Character count (with space) : 2000
Logesh, while your answer is quite complete and offers information regarding the influences that have led you to opt for computer science as a career, I feel like the answer you provided is a bit "generic" in content and feel. I don't really get a sense of a deeper connection between you and your chosen major. Somehow, the interest still seems shallow and the response, almost formulaic. Maybe it is because I perceive the question to be asking you about something outside of the box and you gave an inside the box answer to the prompt.

I believe that you should be going out on a limb in this instance. Get vivid with your imagination, almost "Tron or Tron: The Legacy" (the movies) like in approach. What interests you about this program of study? Look way beyond what computers are capable of doing now. Think about a future where computers interact with people in a seamless manner. go beyond 3D, driverless cars, Google Glass, and Oculus, what is the next step in computers and computer technology? imagine how that can be made into a reality. Then respond to the essay prompt.

What attracts you the most to this line of study should be the potential to change the world or the way we interact with computers. Let Georgia Tech know that you are a visionary with lofty dreams and ambitions regarding computers and the digitized world. That is what should be attracting you towards this major. Talk of the programs you already know how to use, how you use it, and what these can do are not really impressive answers. Talking about how you can change the world after you graduate with this degree, that is impressive.

The prompt allows you to get creative with your response. Don't waste the opportunity. Develop the personality of a Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg within 2000 characters. Impress them with who you know you can become in the future because that is main reason for your interest in this field of study :-)
OP lramad2 3 / 17 2  
Hey, I kinda added an idea that I hope to achieve (the one in bold). Any feedback? Also, could you point out if there are any grammatical errors?

About two years ago, I came to know what computer science essentially was ...

Thank You!!
Hi Logesh, you definitely improved the content of the essay and delivered the central reason for your interest in your major with the additional idea. I just had to edit the content to tighten the essay. Here is what I came up with for you:

Feel free to play around with my revision if you feel you can improve it :-) You can also use my revision in its original form if you want.
OP lramad2 3 / 17 2  
Out of curiosity, isn't it better to add the courses offered in GT, since this shows that I've done my research about the university and also shows that I intent to take it seriously?

P.S. Thanks a lot for your help. You're amazing!!
In my opinion, detailing the subjects are not necessary since the reviewers and adcom are more than familiar with their university curriculum. So indicating the subjects you will be taking up will, in no way, enhance your essay as all of the students who enroll in computer science at the university will be studying the same subjects over the course of the year or years. There might be an actual prompt from the university that will allow you to better discuss your interest in certain subjects though. If the isn't any prompt related to it, then you can skip it. Again, that is my opinion so if you want to add that information to your essay, you can very well do so.

Remember though that the prompt is asking you about " What interests you about your selected program of study". It does not ask you about what subjects you are interested in studying at the university. Rather, it asks you to detail the intricacies of your attraction to Computer Science in a way that goes beyond simple course study. What they are looking for are unique reasons for your interest that will assure them that you will not be dropping the ball and suddenly changing courses once you are already a student at the university. By discussing your interest in the actual field or profession, you deliver the idea that you will stay the course and are actually looking forward to participating in the profession.
OP lramad2 3 / 17 2  
The courses I mentioned are elective, meaning it's not a requirement of the CS major. Hence, I figured ...
OP lramad2 3 / 17 2  
Sorry, got the wrong one. This is the one:

About two years ago, I came to know what computer science essentially was - a logical and analytical challenge to a human's thought process...
Hi Logesh :-) Listen you don't have to make my word for it. Your essay is still just that, your essay. So it has to reflect the topics and content that you feel are important to your application. I won't take your adding the information about the elective subjects against you. My role here is just to advice you regarding content and form. How you use that advice is really up to you :-)

That said, I do believe that your essay is now ready to be submitted and contains all of the points that you wish the reviewer to take note of in terms of your application. I do not think that there is a possibility to add any more information to this work. That is, unless you feel that there are other portions that you want to adjust or enhance ? This essay after all, will only be ready to submit when you believe that you have perfected it already. So submit it as soon as you feel comfortable with the content and format of your work :-)
OP lramad2 3 / 17 2  
Hey,
I think I'm happy with the content, everything that needs to be said is written in the essay, only, do you think maybe the essay requires the language to be tightened? If yes, could you point them out or help me with them?

On a different note, you've been of amazing help to me. I'm extremely grateful for your guidance and pointers. Thank You! ^_^
Logesh, your edited, tightened, and final format essay:

About two years ago, I came to know what computer science essentially was - a logical and analytical challenge to a human's thought process, by then I knew this was what I wanted to pursue in my life. Over the course of time, I strived to learn about programming and where it may possibly lead me. Writing a long program and compiling it without errors, producing the pseudocode to a challenging question or finding that one bug which took me hours, these moments were most likely the greatest. These accomplishments instilled a feeling of progress and served the purpose of nurturing my passion for the subject.

A few months back, I attended the Reflections|Projections event held by UIUC. During Yisong Yue's presentation, I experienced the same feeling as I did two years ago, a feeling of direction. I had finally found my calling; the ability to code something that could make far better decisions and predictions than man ever could, one that would get exponentially better with time and data, Machine Learning, the knowledge that computers can be made to create something that can think independently is possibly the one single thing that has fascinated me no end. I aim to merge machine learning with quantum computing in order to fabricate supercomputers of unparalleled power. This technology could be integrated into NASA programs for autonomous space travel. Practical applications such as creating industrial mechanisms that can run with substantially improved decision making and more precise automated movements can also become a reality.

Over the past century, computer science has both undergone an exponential growth and produced a revolutionary change in mankind's lifestyle. I'd like to be a driving force in this change. However, I possess only a few drops of this vast ocean of language.I believe that Georgia Tech, being one of the world's greatest research institutions, and offering courses like Introduction to AI, Machine Learning, and Knowledge-based AI can provide the cornerstone for my future career as a computer scientist.

By the way, thanks for the compliment :-) It is greatly appreciated.

Home / Undergraduate / Craving for Computer Science - Georgia Tech Essay