Dickinson- Students should be globally engaged leaders

LorxX099 4 / 10  
I'm sorry it is a bit long... please tell me what you think. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thank you.

It has been stated that we are a selfish society. In that statement, we mean that our country, as a whole, only thinks about ourselves and not the other people around us; or the countries. We create an invisible barrier of ignorance between us and any other country by not educating ourselves about world-wide issues. Outside the United States there are currently genocides, countries fighting epidemics, and war. Many people are oblivious to this because of the barrier they put up around themselves. As a nation working towards world peace and a better tomorrow, the key is to become globally engaged leaders.

Starting at the beginning of my junior year, I began to volunteer around my community through National Honor Society. It was not until then did I realize how good it felt to help someone other than myself. I took it upon myself to find more opportunities to volunteer by joining the Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP). All summer long, I volunteered in various ways and the director of the program always commented on how well I worked with people. What I loved most about volunteering was how much it taught me about life. Many students and adults alike do not understand what life outside the middle class mainstream society is like. I have witnessed many struggling and ill members of the community with little or no family there to support them while living in the poorest of conditions. It really opened my eyes as to how cruel the world can be. We live in a country of opportunity and privilege; it is hard to imagine that if so much suffering occurs here, what other countries going though.

Dickinson called to me because it promotes one of the qualities I believe every student should uphold; students shall become globally engaged leaders. Although all the work I have done has only been domestic, it is a goal of mine to one day, leave the country and help in other areas of the world. Dickinson provides me with a way to begin achieving my goal through their study abroad program. Although I would only be travelling to other countries to study, I could take time to learn about other cultures and their issues and one day, return to help in anyway I could. With my past experience of volunteer, I will have the knowledge and the communication skills to work with people in poor conditions, more so than other people that do not have my experience. Not only that but Dickinson provides students with a Diversity Initiative Office, an office to help students better understand the issues in other countries and broaden their knowledge of worldly affairs. All these qualities have given me a plethora of reasons why Dickinson would be a great match for me.
In that statement, we mean that our country, as a whole, only thinks about itself and not ...

Starting atSince the beginning of my junior year, I have been volunteering around my community through National Honor Society.

Many students and adults alikepeople do not understand what life outside...

...if so much suffering occurs here, what people in other countries are going though.

With my past experience as volunteer,...
OP LorxX099 4 / 10  
thank you!

Home / Undergraduate / Dickinson- Students should be globally engaged leaders