"drug shootings and kidnappings, Mexico-Texas" - issue of importance to me

joe2311 2 / 2  
People run into their homes looking for safety. Senseless bullets are shot bouncing from cars and houses causing damages to property and killing people. Hell is once again invoked as drug dealers massacre their own people while seeking to gain more power at the cost of blood. The world is full of issues that affect people in general. An issue that caught my attention was the drug problem in northern Mexico. This is a highly controversial topic in my region that has cost the lives of hundreds of people in this past year alone. I started realizing that even though it's a Mexican problem, it has the capability of being southern Texas problem as well. I worry that the shootings will expand to Southern Texas soon because there are literally dozens of shootings every week near the border.

I attend the Mathematics and Science Academy which is located inside the University of Texas at Brownsville. This University is literally located inches away from the international bridge that connects Mexico to the United States. The shootings over drug cartels are only getting worse on the Mexican side of the border and its now affecting the University. School has been cancelled or been in lockdown several times because of this issue. I was astonished to find out that last year it got to the point where a bullet landed in the University's pool causing it to go on lockdown.

These drug shootings not only scare me but frustrate me as well. Even though I love Mexico because that's where I was born, the fact that the government is so unorganized and incapable of stopping the vicious drug lords is disappointing. In my opinion, the problem is that for years the government would allow the drug dealers to smuggle drugs across the border and other parts of Mexico without any consequences because of how corrupt the government was; now that Mexico has a strong leader and actually wants to stop the drug dealing business once in for all it angers the drug lords and causes those horrible massacres. The thing that worries me the most is that my family lives in Matamoros (a border city in northern Mexico).They are exposed to those shootings every day, and they have no idea when they are going to take place. It's a shocking experience when I go visit my family because of how notable the bullet holes on their walls are.

Even though my family has experienced property damage, I thank the Lord that they haven't gotten injured in any shooting. I am astonished by the fact that my aunt, who lives in constant fear of either getting shot, kidnapped, or robbed every single day still has not lost faith in the Mexican government. Every time we would go visit my grandmother, she would have what I thought were fictional stories of people being killed by cartels, but now that I have experienced it firsthand it is hard not to believe her. I honestly wished the United States would help Mexico handle this situation because the more it is prolonged, the more innocent people die. I find it unfair how people that work hard for their money and have families get killed daily because of useless drug dealers demanding more power. A lot of people take life in the United States for granted without realizing how lucky they are to have a government that protects them. I am thankful for living in a country where our safety is better protected and the government has a zero tolerance for corruption but I still feel for my family and their friends who struggle every day because of the inconsistency in the Mexican government.
subhash_ghosh 11 / 29  
Paragraph needs to be organized properly, this sentence is not at a correct place ; - "The world is full of issues that affect people in general."

Some English errors are there :

Senseless bullets are shot - Bullets are shot at random

I find it unfair how people that work hard for their money - I find it unfair that people who work hard for their money

where our safety is better protected - where our lives are better protected/safety is ensured.
I think it is not a good idea to mention "senseless bullets." They are supposed to be senseless, because they are just bullets. But you can do this:

Senselessly fired bullets...

The world is full of issues that affect people in general. ---this sentence doesnot help promote the message of your essay. I think it is unnecessary.

...has the capability of being southern Texas problem as well. ---very impressive insight...

...been canceled or been i

I find it unfair how people that who work hard for their money and have...

I am thankful for my ability to live in a...

This is a great topic to cover in your essay! Also, you demonstrate a lot of wisdom and thoughtful reflection.

Home / Undergraduate / "drug shootings and kidnappings, Mexico-Texas" - issue of importance to me