"We engage the transformative power of our differences" Bates essay

abdulahok 2 / 2  
What draws you to Bates? Consider the Bates Mission Statement (below) in your response (1-2 paragraphs).

The puddle jumping

Since 1855, Bates College has been dedicated to the emancipating potential of the liberal arts. Bates educates the whole person through creative and rigorous scholarship in a collaborative residential community. With ardor and devotion-Amore ac Studio-we engage the transformative power of our differences, cultivating intellectual discovery and informed civic action. Preparing leaders sustained by a love of learning and a commitment to responsible stewardship of the wider world, Bates is a college for coming times- 2 paragraphs.

During my college search finding a college with unanticipated innumerable perks which fits perfectly to what I wanted was tedious. Our school's economics teacher and a former alumni member once mentioned his deeply engaged and passionate years at Bates. 'Could it be' I asked to myself whole heartedly. I ventured on researching and considered every aspect of what Bates meant to me. "The emancipating potential of the liberal arts", the prospects of a liberal arts education with an impressive core curriculum startled me. With the intersession of courses and a vast array of potential activities to indulge myself into (yes, including the puddle jumping) I certainly knew Bates was the perfect place to be.

"We engage the transformative power of our differences", Bates is one college which celebrates our inherent distinctions with an inclusive and liberal environment. The celebratory response towards one's uniqueness rekindles empathy and fosters close-knit communities such as Bates where no person is complete without the other. Such an impressive community with the crafty artist, the world changing leaders and pioneering researchers all work together in unison is what draws me to Bates.

It is too short. Should I write more. Any form of constructive criticism welcomes
martinmengqian 3 / 6  
@abdulahok
Hi Abdullah~ This essay includes enough information of Bates, which is a good aspect. However, I think it doesn't tell readers the reasons why you fit Bates. From my perspective, it might be better if you work more on yourself--maybe write a short story to show one unique quality--and then connect yourself with Bates spirit/motto, etc. For the length, I think it is perfect, for a concise essay is more powerful. Good luck man :-D

Home / Undergraduate / "We engage the transformative power of our differences" Bates essay