Everyone loves the earth; Cornell CALS App- Environmental Science

ylimewc 3 / 8 2  
Everyone loves the earth, right? A person cannot possibly dislike nature, and therefore affection for of the natural world is entirely commonplace. For years, this had been the rationale for my interest in the outdoors. However, I have recently come to realize that this passion for our world's land and all that it has to offer is something that I must pursue. Research, outreach, and personal experience have brought me to the conclusion that my deep concern for the environment will be present in my academic and professional future. I hope to study Environmental Science and Sustainability at Cornell's College of Agricultural and Life Sciences in order to achieve my goal of contributing to the conservation of land and resources.

Previously, my knowledge about the environment was limited for the most part to the existence of global warming and pollution. However, a realization of the extent of my interest in this subject prompted me to make a conscious effort to expand my knowledge base. I decided to take AP Environmental Science at my high school. The additional, in-depth information that this class provided about the current state of the natural world increased my awareness about the degree of endangerment it is facing. Human activity and disregard for nature have the potential to bring about nature's demise.

My new understanding of the environment, its fragility, and the negative effects that the human population inflicts upon it encouraged me to relay this knowledge to my peers. To do this, I based my high school graduation project on the topic of the impact of humans on the environment. Learning had enabled me to embrace and practice a more sustainable lifestyle, and I hoped to persuade others to do the same. I planned a group camping and hiking trip that utilized sustainable, Leave No Trace practices. The changes in the views and lifestyles of those whose environmental consciousness I had helped to enhance were more rewarding than I can put into words.

I look forward to a future where I can help affect environmentally advantageous changes on a large scale. I plan on pursuing a career involving the environment and the preservation of the natural world through an Environmental Science and Sustainability major at the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences. Using the experience and aptitude that I hope to gain in my years as an undergraduate, I will work to stop the expansion of development into wilderness areas, and to promote methods of sustainable living.

Environmental concerns often take a backseat to the trials and tribulations of everyday life. However, we are but one of earth's nearly nine million species and the greatest legacy we will leave behind is that of our planet.
maomao315040 3 / 21 3  
here is the prompt
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences:
How have your interests and related experiences influenced the major you have selected in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences?

i think it would be better if you talk about the CORNELL program specifically

I have recently come to realize that this passion for our world's land and all that it has to offer is something that I must pursue

"..has to offer carries more meaning for me than for an average citizen of the world" dunno what you think

is there anything more concrete to back up what you are saying here? anything beyond the fact that you took the AP COURSE?

HOPE YOU HELP WITH MINE TOO :)
OP ylimewc 3 / 8 2  
Thanks for your help!:)
I've actually had a change of heart (and major). I've decided to go into Ecology and Evolutionary Biology instead of Environmental Science, so I scrapped that essay and wrote a completely new one!

Home / Undergraduate / Everyone loves the earth; Cornell CALS App- Environmental Science