Fascination with Eye Contact; Yale Supp/ learn more about you

katev 18 / 120 24  
I will edit your essay if you look at mine!
Yale #2 prompt: Please reflect on something you would like us to know about you that we might not learn from the rest of your application (500 words)

For the first five years of my life, school picture day was always a big production. Every year, before I left for school on that fateful day, my mother would put me in my prettiest dress and adorn my hair with bows and barrettes. She would push me out of the car, always leaving me with the words "Look at the camera!" When it came time to wait in line, my teacher would stand near me, dropping hints that my mother had so obviously planted such as "You should see the photographer's face when she takes your picture, it super funny!" However, when I sat down on that stool, all requests to look at the camera went out of my mind. Looking back at my school pictures, I have no idea why I refused to look at the camera. Sure, I looked ridiculously adorable with a shy little smirk on my face and my eyes glued to the ceiling, the wall, the floor, anywhere but directly at the camera, but I still question why for five years I never had one normal school picture. Now, I grew up as a very shy child. I had decided early in my childhood that adults expected to be impressed by what I had to say. Talking to my parents' friends was a daunting task to me, the terribly meek and timid five year old. I suppose that it was this personality trait that repeated failed me when it came to school pictures. *However, having matured a great deal since my averted eye phase, I have come to realize the great importance of eye contact.* (This is just a sentence I came up with, not sure where to place it and/or if I want to keep it)

Growing up with this camera eye contact problem, when the topic of oculesics, the study of eye-related nonverbal communication, came up in my AP Psychology course I was particularly intrigued. How is it that humans are able to communicate without speaking a word?

This is all that I have come up with so far for my Yale 500 word supplement. I know that I can write more about eye contact, I was just wondering if I should bother. Is this a good/interesting topic?

• Here's just 3 examples, haha!
hellogoodbye 2 / 20  
Super cute!

Very intriguing topic. It drew me right in.

You can go on to talk about your aspirations as someone who wishes to study child psychology blahblahblah.

Good job. :D
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
Maybe "focus" since you've learned to focus on the camera and it also represents you locking in on what you want out of life and pursuing it. Also, I am squealing over how cute you are in those pictures! Great essay and good luck!
HarvardAccept - / 57 24  
Dish is the cutest thing :3. List of words I can think of: Cheese. Hello.
Hello would be a good one since you can go off the basis of before you were shy about saying Hello, but your pictures certainly give me the "Hello" look... If you get what I mean? After your shy stage, you are more outgoing and willing to say "Hello" to people and to get to know others around you.

Or something like that...

Hope this helps just a little :)
arguanoid 6 / 10 1  
Maybe 'emergence,' since the whole anecdote seems to describe your emergence as a person, from the shy cocoon of your childhood to the active and vibrant person you are today
OP katev 18 / 120 24  
Thanks! Any other words?

Home / Undergraduate / Fascination with Eye Contact; Yale Supp/ learn more about you