Why Yale? Candidness in teaching - Yale Supp

sarthakjain 19 / 58  
prompt: What in particular about yale have influenced on your decision to apply? (500 characters)
I know Yale through two sources only - the website and Open Yale Courses. The summer of 2011 , I looked through "Freshman Organic Chemistry" and "Milton" class on OYC and the thing that struck out was the candidness in teaching, without sacrificing rigor of the subject. The professors and students shared a mutual friendship and warmth in their interactions. This openness along with the perfect tie up between engineering and humanities courses makes Yale a perfect place for me pursue creativity.

prompt: What would you do with a free afternoon tomorrow? (175 characters)
catch up will my online courses,write my blog which I have been avoiding lately and then read Wuthering Heights on my front porch again for tenth time.Perhaps a quick nap too.

prompt: What is the best piece of advice you have received in the last three years? (175 characters)
Sometimes the chains that prevent us from being free are more mental than physical. Break Them and you can do what you want (most of the times).

prompt: If you could witness one moment in history, what would it be and why? (175 characters)
The settlement of Humans as a society as this was the moment which defined our very way of living . Understanding the roots can help us solve present social turmoil problems.

prompt: What do you wish you were better at being or doing? (175 characters)
Being a better listener. I tend to continuously give my opinion without ever thinking about what the other person have to say.I regret this impulsiveness most of the times.

prompt: What is something about which you have changed your mind in the last three years? (175 characters)
You cannot live alone.Earlier,I tended to avoid people, tried to be on my own,but I cannot live without having people around me and sharing my thoughts and feelings with them.

I really need help with them as deadline is approaching. please review this and tell if they are too cliche. any help will be appreciated. Also each answer uses all the space available, with no scope of addition. They can only be modified.
college134nj - / 44 7  
i think they are rather unique. I like some of your answers - especially the advice, moment in history, wish you were better at something.

They really bring out your personality, and though i dont know you, i can get a good idea of what kind of person you are. i'm sure your why yale essay will stand out among those who write about the campus, etc.
kabal 9 / 61  
never knew this is how yale did their stuff like this,interesting.
Be yourself.These are very specific question that shows the character of an individual be it history, politics, life etc
The prompt about history is weird because evidence of thought process in humans is not known to have existed then; i took anthropology in the summer.

don't go that far. you could say the creation of the nuclear bomb. why it was created and how it could be prevent. it just flows to Iran's stubbornness in having a nuclear weapon.

the rest are okay, you showed your flaw, your eagerness to express yourself.
the best response are those that don't show perfection. good luck
pinkfloyd 1 / 6  
"the thing that struck out was the candidness in teaching, without sacrificing rigor of the subject."
the part after the comma should be changed. You should modify the entire sentence.

"makes Yale a perfect place for me pursue creativity."
you could write "makes Yale the perfect creative haven for me", or something along those lines.
"prompt: If you could witness one moment in history, what would it be and why? (175 characters)
The settlement of Humans as a society as this was the moment which defined our very way of living . Understanding the roots can help us solve present social turmoil problems."

I really think you should be more specific here.

"You cannot live alone.Earlier,I tended to avoid people, tried to be on my own,but I cannot live without having people around me and sharing my thoughts and feelings with them."

I'm not exactly sure why, but I feel this is not on par with the rest of your answers. Maybe you should try to phrase it better somehow, try evoking emotion. The phrasing here is too rigid, I think.

I need some help with my Amherst supplement.
OP sarthakjain 19 / 58  
thanks for your reviews. they sure enlightened me on some aspects of my answer.

Home / Undergraduate / Why Yale? Candidness in teaching - Yale Supp