'The frontiers of research' - Transfer Essay: Texas A&M engineering

ccdw 1 / -  
Statement of Purpose: REQUIRED (submitted and sent)

The majority of high school upperclassmen go through the difficult and somewhat daunting task of selecting a college major in time for their college application deadline. Many students only choose what is popular among their faction of friends or what has the most promising career prospects in terms of financial and aesthetic compensation, with neglect to the single most important element: a true passion for their area of study and destined career path.

Two years ago, I was this high school senior, feeling the pressure from family, friends, teachers, and college recruiters to make a choice that would ultimately define my future for years to come, but an integral part of the equation was missing. I was not yet ready. Having grown up participating in sports and being around the trucks and farm equipment of my father and grandfather, I had always been fascinated by how things work, from the mechanics of the human body to machines like tractors and motorcycles, but I was not yet sure in which field my passion lay. It was not until my time at Lone Star College that I truly developed a love for math, science, and problem solving, along with the desire to apply these learned principles to better engineer mechanical systems and processes to further enhance the world around us.

I have aspired to attend Texas A&M University since the beginning of my senior year of high school when I visited the campus and attended the annual football game against the University of Texas, where I was instantly captured by the "Spirit of Aggieland." The excellence of the academic programs at Texas A&M speak for themselves, and the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the Dwight Look College of Engineering offers the unique curriculum to both challenge and inspire my mind to its purest intellectual potential, while preparing me for the multifaceted responsibilities faced by engineers in the professional industry.

The frontiers of research that mechanical engineering has to offer are seemingly boundless, and the opportunities at Texas A&M are some of the finest that the world has to offer. I have particular interest in the continued innovation of the automobile and aviation industry, as well as the development of alternative means of transportation that utilize the application of the various renewable sources of energy that our earth has to offer. As the world continues to advance toward the future, our existing modes of air and ground transportation will demand either continuous improvement or complete replacement, and mechanical engineers will be at the leading edge of this initiative providing the necessary ingenuity, leadership, and application of mechanical principles to ensure that society is equipped with the latest mechanical innovations necessary to cope with the dynamic world of the future.

With the intent of becoming a Professional Engineer, I look forward to earning a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering before attending graduate school to also earn my Masters. Texas A&M offers the most efficient means to obtaining my goal via the proximity of the campus, first-class research facilities and laboratories, along with internship and employment opportunities to maximize my future career prospects. With these motives in mind, I anticipate being a part of the engineering program at Texas A&M, and I hope you will give my application a sincere consideration.

Please read, and offer any corrections in grammar, sentence structure, and content. Thanks in advance
Many students only choose what is popular among their faction of friends or what has the most promising career prospects in terms of financial and aesthetic compensation, with neglect to the single most important element: a true passion for their area of study and destined career path .---Great beginning, very true and insightful!

Having grown up participating in sports and being around the trucks and farm equipment of my father and grandfather, I have always been fascinated...

It was not until my time at Lone Star College that I truly developed a love for math, science, and problem solving, along with the desire to apply these learned principles to better engineering of mechanical systems and processes, to further enhance the world around us .---Would they enhance the world around us, or would they enhance our lives?

I have particular interest in the continued innovation of the automobile and aviation industries , as well as the development of alternative means...

Texas A&M offers the most efficient means of obtaining my goal via the proximity of the campus,---(to what?)--- first-class research facilities and laboratories...

With these motives in mind, I anticipate being a part of the engineering program at Texas A&M, and I hope you will give my application a sincere consideration.

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'The frontiers of research' - Transfer Essay: Texas A&M engineering