The GOAL - how a specific work of journalism had an impact on your desire to study this subject

Elijah Ngoy 2 / 3  
Tell us how a specific work of journalism (not your own) from a newspaper, magazine, broadcast or online had an impact on your desire to study journalism. (300 approx)

It was the year 1972, the nation watched, tensions flared and emotions grew. Parents, teachers and working folk skipped daily agendas to witness the legendary game tying match between the Soviet Union and Canada. The Russians had our attention and they certainly, at that moment, weren't going out without a fight or win. The series would end with a historic goal from Canadas Paul Henderson with 34 seconds left in regulation.

" Cournoyer has it on that wing. Here's a shot. Henderson made a wild stab for it and fell. Here's another shot. Right in front. They score! Henderson has scored for Canada! "

This broadcast of the final game of the summit series brought Canadians and people all around the world together. It created a unity much bigger than the sport itself. Although, I wasn't alive to personally witness the goal myself, seeing countless video clips and long documentaries based on the series was enough to realize that this was a monument in Canadian sports and broadcasting history.

To be a part of something so big and monumental would mean the world to me. I believe there's a special love for the dramatic and exciting events that bring us all together as one, and to have a special place in making it possible for others to see or hear is remarkable. It adds to my ambition, I want to be a part of something special, a part of our changing history.

In summary, there will forever remain a deep connection between the series and my love and admiration for broadcasting and journalism. These two means of communication added value in the sense that people all over could witness it. That is why I want to pursue a study in journalism at your esteemed Institution.
eegii0123 3 / 4  
... to witness the legendary game-tying match between the Soviet Union and Canada.

To beBeing a part of something so big and monumental would means the world to me.

I think this sentence "That is why I want to pursue a study in journalism at your esteemed Institution." is sort of weird. So I advice you to better look for a sentence which reflects your ambition or enthusiasm.

Best !

Home / Undergraduate / The GOAL - how a specific work of journalism had an impact on your desire to study this subject