GWU Essay - Diversity, International City - What attracted you to the university

ninasen17 3 / 4  
my response needs to be 500 words but right now all i have is 336 words. please check for content, language and grammar.

Prompt: Attach an essay of no more than 500 words indicating what most influenced you to apply to The George Washington University (required of all applicants).

Response:
In the summer of 2009, I came across a documentary that explored the impacts of war on the women of the Democratic Republic of Congo. It was apparent that these women were not given any psychological aid and it was at this moment that I knew that I wanted to become a certified clinical psychologist and that I wanted to work for a non-governmental organization such as Doctors without Borders or International Medical Corps. In order to pursue these plans of mine, I knew I had to attend a university that would not only have the resources that would further my education but would also be placed in a city that would provide services that would benefit me. I first became interested in George Washington University after speaking to a graduate of my school who had just completed her first year at GWU. I delved deeper by visiting the GWU Website where I found that the university offers many community service clubs which model themselves on NGOs such as Global Aid, LLC. Working in a club such as this one would allow me to familiarize myself with working with others, more so than I have in the past. I had always known that I would study in a university that was at the heart of its city, much like GWU is. Locals have described the city as a "big town, small city" and this is the atmosphere that attracts me. I like being able to find my way around a city without going into completely unknown territory while still living in a metropolitan area. I know that because the university is located in Washington, DC, there are many internship opportunities that would aid me in pursuing psychology as a major. Coming from an international school, being a part of a diverse community is very important to me. I know that I would be happy living in a city such as Washington D.C. as it is very diverse, being the capital of the United States of America.
It was apparent that these women were not given any psychological aid, and it was at that moment that I knew that I wanted to become a certified clinical psychologist and that I wanted to work for a non-governmental organization such as Doctors without Borders or International Medical Corps.---This would be much better if you break this long sentence into two.

In order to pursue these plans of mine, I knew I had to attend a university that would not only have the resources to further my education, but would also be placed in a city that would provide services that would benefit me.

I have always known that I would study in...

I like being able to find my way around a city without going into completely unknown territory while still living in a metropolitan area. ---If you read this sentence aloud, you'll see why it sounds a little funny. :)

Coming from an international school and being a part of a diverse community is very important to me.

Home / Undergraduate / GWU Essay - Diversity, International City - What attracted you to the university