'highly accomplished staff' - Why does Yale appeal to you? Yale Supplement

CollegeMe 7 / 19 3  
Why does Yale appeal to you? (100 words or less)

I am attracted by the highly accomplished staff at Yale. Highly renowned teachers like Professor Micheal Donoghue, a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, who I hope to take the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology coarse from, will provide me with the best guide in my journey for knowledge. I was even more attracted when I read that professors from the Yale school of medicine are also active at teaching the Yale College. The chance that I may get to learn from the very people I look up to like Nobel Prize winner, James Rothman, is what appeals to me.
anfernee 6 / 19 13  
Hi Olu, although you answered the prompt properly, since Yale is a highly competitive college, I think mentioning famous professors is not convincing or interesting enough. I can see the problem brought my the 100-word limit, but you can still write a well-written response. I see that you emphasized undergraduate teaching, so why not elaborate on it? It will be better to connect you to Yale than just listing names that AOs are already familiar with.
Olu, if you want to make an impression at Yale, don't go name dropping their professors and college courses. That is the kind of information that students who don't really have a personal outlook, ambition, or desire to become part of the Yale roster of students normally falls back on. For an effective 100 word statement, you will need to find some pretty solid, personal reasons as to why a Yale education appeals to you.

Discuss what you feel makes a Yale education unique in your eyes. How do you see yourself benefiting from the Yale educational system? Have you given any thought as to how Yale can propel you to a shining career simply by being their graduate? Those are some of the considerations that can help you develop a fresh response prompt. Don't let the word limitation overcome you. Just take the time to really think about your response and how you want to state it.
OP CollegeMe 7 / 19 3  
Thanks vangiespen
I thought it was cool how they have the Yale African students' Association (YASA) that is really involved with African cultural stuff and even created an Africa Week at Yale to raise awareness about Africa and celebrate culture.

But should I focus on an academic reason instead?
Olu, I believe that you should focus on both the academic and extra curricular reasons that Yale appeals to you. By offering an insight into the academic appeal and the extra curricular interest that Yale has triggered within you, there is an opportunity to show the reviewer that you actually did your homework and reflected upon the possible answers to the prompt before you actually sat down to type up your response.

With only 100 words to write down the explanation, you will definitely be pressed for space. It is possible to write the essay by allotting 50 words per topic. If you can write up a revised response, without having to consider the word count, and I strongly suggest you do that, I can jump in and help you get the essay into the 100 word mark without a problem :-) Do you want to give it a try?
OP CollegeMe 7 / 19 3  
Thanks Vangiespen. I was able to do it with 100 words. Tell me how this is.

One of the things that attracts me to Yale is the STARS Program. I like that Yale puts extra effort into caring for its underrepresented students. With the special opportunities I could receive under this program, I would be able to excel in the field of Biology.

The Yale African Students Association also attracts me because of its strong involvement in African culture. I would like to stay in contact with my African culture in college and am glad that there is an African Association so devoted to African culture that they have even created an Africa Week at Yale.
Excellent work Olu :-) I am pleased to say that your work is quite acceptable and does not require me to jump in with any edits or revisions. You should be proud of the way that you were able to develop this response statement. It covers both aspects of academic and extra curricular appeals that Yale offers you.

At this point, all you have to do is review the content of your statement and make sure that you have expressed yourself in the best manner that you can. Make sure that you did not skip any information that could help to enhance the response even more. As far as I can tell, the essay can be considered to be in its final form and is ready for submission. My opinion is that this essay is as ready as it can ever be for review by the admissions officer :-)

Home / Undergraduate / 'highly accomplished staff' - Why does Yale appeal to you? Yale Supplement