'House Rules / Childhood fantasies' - COLUMBIA SHORT ANSWER

futurecolumbian 2 / 5 1  
1.Please tell us what you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications or cultural events.
The book House Rules has had a big impact on my perspective of the world.It is about a boy who has Asperger's syndrome and is convicted of murder.I for one had no idea whatsoever about this type of autism prior to reading this book and as mentioned in it,neither do a lot of people.This book helps the reader delve deep into the mind of an autistic kid.The more I read the more I understood how the mind of a kid with Asperger's worked.What separates kids with Asperger's syndrome from those with other types of autism is that they are fully aware that they are not normal.They want to fit into this world but due to their mental limitations are unable to do so and thus are increasingly frustrated by that.With incredibly high IQs they probably know as much as an erudite professor.The only problem is that they lack the ability to socially interact with other people,mostly coming off as aloof and rude to those who do not know of their disorder.This lack of social awareness has only made their lives harder.Everywhere they go,they are misunderstood,looked down upon and are shunned to one side due to their strange quirkiness making them feel even more out of place in this world.After reading this book I set up my mind that I am going to change how the world saw them one day.By raising social awareness,increasing their rights and making more allowances for their limitations,I intend to make an improvement in their tough lives regardless of how small it may be.

2.Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why.

Situated in the eventful city of New York, and having been ranked as one of the top 20 universities in the United States, it is of no doubt that Columbia would be appealing to any student wishing to get a higher degree of education. For me the most appealing thing about Columbia would be its financial economics department. This is the subject that I plan on studying in Columbia and this school is widely recognized as having one of the best departments for it. Besides that, the ambience and liveliness of the university's campus coupled with its extensive and thorough core curriculum has made me see this as the perfect school for me. I love to write, in fact it is one of the things I love to do in my free time. All the focus and emphasis on writing and literary practices will, I hope, help me to develop my skills further as a writer. Columbia has long held a place of fascination in my head. Ever since I had seen Blair Warldorf from Gossip Girl ascend the steps of Hamilton Hall I began to fantasize about attending this prestigious university. So if I do get a chance to study at this university one of my childhood fantasies will finally come true.
The book House Rules has had a big impact on my perspective of the world.

My suggestion;
The book House Rules had a major impact on shaping my perception of the world.

Interesting... I haven't read that book, but seems it's quite good :)

You've done a good job!
OP futurecolumbian 2 / 5 1  
Thank you for your suggestion :)
but do you think the mention of gossip girl seems stupid or has a negative impact of some sort?
rezwan3 7 / 19 4  
One important suggestion about ur first answer. You are basically stating facts that the Columbia people already know. And it is very cliche. I know like 10 kids who wrote about Columbia's achievement and its location. You should talk about your future contributions to Columbia as a whole. Talk about how u would impact it (Ex- sports, clubs, special skills, music). After you have done that, you should talk about your major (which you already did) but in a unique way that will grab their attention and make them say "Yes, I really do want this kid".

:) Please review my essay
mcig - / 7 2  
You're applying to Columbia, so you're probably smarter than me, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Nothing really stands out to me about your first essay. You said you read the book, then just stated general facts about Aspbergers that I could probably just google up right now. Then you just give one sentence about how you want to change Aspbergers. What did you really find meaningful in the book? Just the fact that it shows you Aspbergers is bad? Be specific to the book, it doesn't even seem like you read it if all they say is how Aspbergers is bad

Essay two you try to fill out too much in too little time. You go from saying Columbia is in NY, has a lively social place, a thorough core academic sched, and that you like to write. If you wanted to go to a lively city university with a good academic currciculum to explore you love of writing, those are all features that are just as appealing to Uchicago, Northwestern, MIT, NYU, etc. You should probably research Columbia University, and see if they have an undergraduate program that really really stands out to you and should be very unique to Columbia. (EX: Only brown university lets students create whatever classes they want, no core classes) That way, Columbia knows you looked really deep into them, and that they have something that they, and only they, can provide
cammokehein - / 1 1  
I thought mentioning of the Gossip girl shows your personality. I think it's a great response.
OP futurecolumbian 2 / 5 1  
Thank you all for your advices! I realized I have a lot to fix now that I heard all of your comments.I'm on it! :p
Moe_cubed 1 / 2 1  
I'm likely echoing off the other posters, but I'm sure that re-focusing your second essay could only be to your benefit. Maybe you'd like to discuss how you hope to use Columbia's NYC location in a unique way to further your future aspirations or how you'd love to take a course taught by a certain professor or a particular program that interests you, etc. The big-so-what is that you want your essay to scream Columbia and evoke that you bleed Columbia blue.

Home / Undergraduate / 'House Rules / Childhood fantasies' - COLUMBIA SHORT ANSWER