Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Kak tvoy den prashol?" - U.C. Prompt II- The World you Come From

Cecile 3 / 5  
Any ideas are welcome! I need to make the essay flow a bit more, and maybe change or add some things. Also the grammer needs improvement

Thank You!

UC Prompt II : Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations

"Kak tvoy den prashol?" my mom would ask me from the kitchen table, "good" I would reply while taking a bite out of my piroshky. This would be an example of my daily interactions that I have with my parents. My friends always thought it was weird that in one conversation we incorporated different languages, but this is who I am. It is hard to specify exactly my culture and to categorize my ethnicity since it is a synthesis of my past. I felt like I could never be fully Russian or fully American if I had three different nations in my identity. My childhood stems from a story of having an intercultural family where my mom was born in Russia and my father in Ukraine, living in the collapsing Soviet Union, they started a life together extremely poor trying to make a living through the merit of education. Moving to Israel my mom gave birth to my brother and me, and there we lived for 5 years. Speaking fluent Russian and Hebrew my family moved to California to a small apartment. I did not yet grasp the new world we were about to live in.

I remember noticing a pattern of about every 2 to 3 years moving from one house to another and me despising my parents for making me change schools and friends. Until 2006 when we finally had a two story house and my parents were content with the level of education in the neighboring schools. Because of their determination to get me to a good public school, I find the value of education to be one of the most important aspects of my life, making my high school teachers and peers a large influence in the way I think and interpret certain things. My parents are always there to support me in all my numerous activities even if they may not agree about my participation in them whether it may be my dance performances to my art shows they always find time in their busy schedule to support my dreams and aspirations. Through them I learned the importance of hard work ethics in everything that I set to accomplish. With that set of mind I am determined to make my pursuits a reality.

I am also tempted to write about my travels in great detail, because I can see my future in learning and enjoying diverse cultures, showing my engagement of trying to make a change in the world through my major of International Relations. By traveling and learning about the world, I hope to be able to affect foreign policy and interactions between different nations by trying to limit war and unnecessary violence through finding other means to resolve certain situations. Not only am I comfortable with my mixture of heritages, I now feel extremely lucky to be American, Russian, and Israeli and I hope to build my future career synthesizing more cultures. Growing up I could never tell people simply about my background in one sentence, now I cherish this attribute about myself because I am not a simplistic person. So when my mom asks me "how my day was" I can proudly say "Хорошo".

Home / Undergraduate / "Kak tvoy den prashol?" - U.C. Prompt II- The World you Come From