KGSP Self Intro - From childhood drawing hobby to a design master's

gongjunim 1 / 3  
Hello, guys. I want to apply for 2014 KGSP Graduate Scholarship this February via designated university. This is my self introduction and English is not my mother tongue so I hope there aren't too many mistakes here... Thank you :)

o Your course of life, your view of life, study background, your hopes & wishes, etc
o Your education and work experience, etc., in relation to major field
o Your motivations for applying for this program
o Reason for study in Korea

When I was seventeen, I read a comic book that left me very deep memories, which led me to major in visual communication design. Japanese comics influenced me to draw since childhood but it was Kim Dong Hwa's Chicken Soup for the Soul that gave me more insight about comics. The motivational stories were very touching; it was my first time crying and getting emotional over a comic book. Being a comic artist or illustrator wasn't exactly what I had in mind but I wanted to be that kind of person: being able to spread happiness and touch people's heart by drawing. Most of my days were spent drawing until my parents got worried that it would distract me from school. I stopped for a while but my hand unconsciously found its way to a pencil and doodle all over my school textbooks. That was when I realized that it had been my passion; enrolling in art and design department for college would be the next big step.

Applying for college was a bumpy ride since I failed the first exam. Fortunately, I got accepted in second attempt two months later at one of the top campuses in my country. It's a science and technology campus that produces many nationally acclaimed people yet it's also famous for its art and design department. It's located out of town so I had to live by myself, away from family for the first time in 18 years. It was a whole new experience; I got to meet people from different places and ethnic groups, learn the local language and etiquette, and be independent.

In visual communication design major, I decided to focus on graphic design because I found typography, photography and illustration to be more engaging. I went through an internship in a graphic studio for a couple months and several exhibitions with campus friends during college. My thesis title is "Photo Essay about the Life of Handicapped Infants and Children at Orphanage" with the intention of making people care to adopt the unfortunate little ones. After 4 consecutive years, I finally finished my undergraduate degree in 2013 and am currently in freelance mode.

I was looking for references for my thesis when I discovered that South Korea had a domestic adoption campaign called "Letter of Angels", which has been going on for several years until 2013. This led me to digging more about campaigns and graphic design in South Korea. Apparently, many talented graphic designers and artists with sophisticated works that I stumbled upon are Hongik University alumni. Later on I found out that Hongik University is famous for its school of fine arts and design. It got me intrigued to the point I wanted to learn there as well. I'm still keen on studying visual communication design and I'm fully determined to take a Master's in Hongik University.

I'm hoping by taking a Master's via KGSP scholarship, it will stimulate me to become more creative from a new perspective and capable of grasping profound graphic design. I wish to be more insightful when I apply for a graphic design studio or even establish one by my own in the future. South Korea is an advanced country and its consciousness of implementing decent graphic design everywhere makes me very inspired to learn more.
adatiger96 4 / 7 1  
When I was seventeen, I read a comic book that left me very deep memories. This led me to major in visual communication design. Since childhood, Japanese comics influenced me to draw but Kim Dong Hwa's Chicken Soup for the Soul gave me more insight about the impact comics have people's lives. The motivational stories were very touching; it was my first time crying and getting emotional over a comic book. Being a comic artist or illustrator wasn't exactly what I had in mind but I wanted to be the type of person who spreads happiness and touches people's heart. Most of my days were spent drawing until my parents got worried that it would distract me from school. I stopped for a while but my hand unconsciously found its way to a pencil and doodle all over my school textbooks. When I realized drawing was my passion, I enrolled in the Art and Design department at my local college.
OP gongjunim 1 / 3  
Thank you for the correction!

Home / Undergraduate / KGSP Self Intro - From childhood drawing hobby to a design master's