'Life is the most important thing' - Why Major Essay

RiceAllTheWhey 3 / 16  
Prompt : With the understanding that the choice of academic school you indicated is not binding, explain why you are applying to that particular school of study

Life is the most important thing in the entire universe. So logically, the most important objective in this world is to understand and prolong life. What would be more fitting for a major than biochemistry, which studies the mechanics of life?

I first realized the fragility of life at the age of 15, when I got salmonella. Slouching on the toilet with blankets wrapped tightly around my torso, in the midst of odor of diarrhea mixed with sweat, I felt like I was going to die. What is dying like? What happens when I die? Do I just become nothing?I want my mommy! At that moment, I apprehended that nothing in the world can replace life, not money, not power, nothing. As I pondered about these troubling and insoluble thoughts, my dad brought me a glass of orange juice, and tells me that there's nothing to worry about. He explains that salmonella has a low fatality rate and that as long as I don't die from dehydration, my immune system will take care of the bacteria.

Even though this experience did not leave any physical scars, it impacted my mentality greatly. I viewed my father and other doctors not as symbols of illness and pain but more as symbols of hope and care, as their knowledge and expertise had prolonged humanity and comforted millions of citizens. I also realized the value of life, but I was surprised at how little I know of something that I cherish so much. By completing courses in biochemistry, I will understand my body much better; I will find assurance in fevers and diarrheas in that those are the ways that our bodies are adapted to dispel foreign pathogens. More importantly, I will be able to spread that assurance to my children and to my patients just as my father did to me, and that is the true goal of life.
deremifri 9 / 137  
Quite impressed, it's witty and to the point.
Suggestion:
How did you find out that you knew so little? (Actually I would make the sentence "but I was surprised at how little I knew of something that I cherished so much"

then the tenses are parallel).
OP RiceAllTheWhey 3 / 16  
Thanks for the feedback.
I implied that I thought salmonella is fatal, and that is how I knew so little. I guess it's not clear; I'll fix it right away.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Life is the most important thing' - Why Major Essay