"marching band" - UMich Short Essay -COMMUNITY

swoosh18 4 / 40  
Approximately 250 words
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it.

Marching onto the field all I could feel was my heart pounding and my brain telling me "Don't mess up." As a freshman in high school and a newcomer to Georgia, I marched a show for the first time ever. This show was one of the many I was yet to march over my four years in high school.

Marching band was the first community I had in my new home. Through the band program at my school, I have made lifelong friendships, while also gaining valuable leadership skills. Being a leader in band since the tenth grade forced me out of my shy shell. I had to call commands and help teach new members marching techniques. Soon I realized that being timid would not get me anywhere if I wanted to be a leader, so I learned how to be assertive and gain the respect of my peers, while still having fun.

Band always reminds me that I need to do my best to be the best. When I got the position of first chair clarinet in my first ever winter concert in the ninth grade, I knew that I had earned it through hard work and dedication. Learning a new piece of music is always a challenge full of discovery, and performing it well brings out the joy in me and all of my fellow band students. Thusly I am reminded that I am not just a member of my high school's band but a member of a worldwide community of musicians that hope to further discover as a Michigan Marching Band member.
Anonymoussenior 17 / 133  
This show was one of the many I was yet to march in over my four years of high school

Soon, I realized that being timid would not get me anywhere if I wanted to be a leader, so I learned how to be assertive and gain the respect of my peers, while still having fun

Learning a new piece of music is always a challenge full of discovery, and performing it well brings out the joy in me and all of my fellow band students.- get rid of the comma

Thusly, I am reminded that I am not justonly a member of my high school's band, but also a member of a worldwide community of musicians that I hope to further discover as a member of the Michigan Marching Band.

Please edit my Why Michigan essay.

Home / Undergraduate / "marching band" - UMich Short Essay -COMMUNITY