MIT Creativity Essay - "Nighttime is like Progresso New England Clam Chowder."

qwe123 1 / 2  
I don't know about this essay. I kind of wanted to take a creativity prompt and use both a creative writing style AND a creative "idea." I considered writing about my research project, which would be very easy, but I don't know. I realize that this is MIT, but do you think they would appreciate something like this? And do you think I talked to little about the actual "idea." All response is helpful.

Link your essay, and I will gladly critique.

Tell us about a time you used your creativity. This could be something you made, a project that you led, an idea that you came up with, or pretty much anything else. (*) (200-250 words)

Nighttime is like Progresso New England Clam Chowder. It's thick, warm, and tastes overwhelmingly of potatoes. Well, not really, but Lucy tells me that if you perform two actions together enough then you start to associate them.

"Like classical conditioning?"

She shrugs. But I guess she has a point because when I think of canned soup, I think of the countless nights spent up on my roof with a bowl of clam chowder ("Coffee? Coffee. Will. Kill. You," says my mother, and I suppose she forgets about heights.).

That's the thing about living next door to your best friend since fourth grade though. The everyday things stop being enough, and you become kind of ridiculous in your search for adventure.

It started on a Wednesday. I had climbed out onto the ledge outside my bedroom window, and on a whim I called Lucy and cajoled her into joining me because well, in suburbia every house is built exactly the same. She climbed out onto her ledge and flashed the lights on her cell and I flashed mine back naturally, and I guess we never stopped.

Over the years cell phones turned to flashlights, and our obnoxious light game became a means of communication. Language changed with the times as our conversations morphed from television to clothes to boys and catalogued the best years of my life. Sure we'll never be like Morse and have our own Wikipedia article, but hey, to me, it's probably the best thing since sliced bread.
tiliu 2 / 7  
I really like it, the only problem is that it took me too long to understand where you were going, who lucy was.

The little blurb about coffee, is a bit random- which can be good. but if you're going to make. your. mom. talk. like. this- it makes it seem she's more than just merely saying something.

so my critique is a bit spazzy, sorry if it wasn't much help.
OP qwe123 1 / 2  
Would you suggest that I send in this essay or write one about my research?
tiliu 2 / 7  
I would expect since this is MIT, that many people will want to flaunt their extensive research projects. They might enjoy this refreshing (humorous) essay.

I don't know though, I just finished writing an essay to William and Mary (liberal arts school) so my mind set is kind of out there at the moment.

So something safe to say,
whichever one would show your personality more. They want to read this and kind of get a glimpse of who you are, not what you have done.

Home / Undergraduate / MIT Creativity Essay - "Nighttime is like Progresso New England Clam Chowder."