Music is my way of life, my soul and my community. Rice... why this college?

pandora 6 / 19  

Rice why this college?

With the understanding that the choice of academic school you indicated is not binding, explain why you are applying to that particular school of study. THis is for shepherd school of music

Johann Sebastian Bach prided himself on having a family orchestra made up of so many of his musical children. Without doubt, he could have said the same about my family. My father is an accomplished singer, cellist, piano accompanist, and choir director, mother is violinist and my brother picks up where my father left off in cello. Me, well I am just me and my piano. Of course, like every other asian student I have met, music started out because of the parents and even how fortunate for me to carry on a legacy of musicians. However honestly, piano and music are more than the lessons and family traditions.

Once before, my piano instructor said, "If you want a profession easier than a musician, go be a brain surgeon." Of course she said that with good humor, but never had I realized the truth that hung in-between her words. Sure mathematicians impress the public with their fancy cryptic symbols and athletes amaze crowds by volumes of sweat pouring, but musicians, they do just about everything. Endurance to climb Mt Everest is required for fingers engaged in scales, arpeggios and trills. Mentality of lawyers, sharp as the edge of a blade, is required for musicians to play every note for pitch, tone and accuracy, exact. Emotions demonstrated by thespians, define the musician's artistry and make him the master of his music. Beyond musicians, I have yet to discover another profession that requires so much from a person. For the challenge I strive, and that is why music is unique to me.

Whether sunshine filters through the curtain blinds or a grayish hue shrouds the sky, tunes are plucked and chords are struck at my house. Yet, every day seems to have its own characteristics; one day rooms are humid with melancholy, another day carpet colors are vibrant with playfulness. I glance around and see a sketch of my first piano teacher; he had been a vital force in our community as a performer sparking and fanning the fire of music inside of everyone, especially me. I look at another portrait among the wall crammed with them, and I smile, because I realized I am part of a society, a bigger movement of music. Quickly bass starts to blend in with the drums, and feet-tapping enters my consciousness; I almost had forgotten that a few friends had come by to hit some tunes. My hands are off into improvisation land, my heart thumping syncopated to the down beat, and my mind whispering to me, music is my way of life, my soul and my community.

Does this make sense?
Comment and criticisms welcomed
bhangra369 8 / 11  
Once "before" should be just "once"

"If you want a profession easier than that of a musician," not "Easier than a musician."

"...and my mind is whispering to me." "Music..."

The overall content is good. Just need the grammar element.

Good luck.
last_min_girl 2 / 6  
this is a pretty good essay, but WHY rice? Did u answer the question??
Honestly, however, piano and music are more than the lessons and family traditions.

Once, my piano instructor said, "If you want a profession easier than that of a musician, go be a brain surgeon." Of course she said that with good humor, but never had I realized the truth that hung in-between her words.

VERY GOOD! This essay has a bit of wisdom to accompany an answer for the prompt.
debaterchick09 7 / 29  
very good essay!

Me, well I am just me and my piano.

the wording on can be improved.

Don't worry about answering the why rice. It has nothing to do with this prompt, this prompt wants to know why you are applying to that academic school :)
OP pandora 6 / 19  
The wording is a bit funky, but I always thought I always putting it into my perspective using my funky approach. Anyone want to second anything or bring up another view point?
cm22 2 / 6  
good essay!! it has completely showed your passion for music.

But i think you should relate to rice 's academic school, do some further research will help. Maybe just mention a little about it is enough!
EF_Constance - / 143  
My father is an accomplished singer, cellist, piano accompanist, and choir director; while, my mother is violinist, and my brother picks up where my father left off in cello. Me, well, it is just me and my piano.

; however, honestly, piano and music are more than the lessons and family traditions.

Of course, she said that with good humor, but never had I realized the truth that hung in-between her words.

Whether sunshine filters through the curtain blinds or a grayish hue shrouds the sky, tunes are plucked, and chords are struck at my house.
my soul and my community.

Your essay was well-thought out and well-written. I did notice a few issues with commas and wording, but well-written nonetheless. Watch out for the commas, and you will do great!

Home / Undergraduate / Music is my way of life, my soul and my community. Rice... why this college?