WHY NYU COLLEGE SUPPLEMENT ESSAY (MAX 400)

catsanddogs 1 / -  
This is my NYU supplement that I am gonna submit on Jan 1! Please let me know what you think.

New York University mutual impact

New York University is not only known for its prestigious reputation but also for the historical eminence that is complemented by the vibrant city of New York; however, I know it as the place of my birth. Out of the hundreds of hospitals my parents could have chosen as my birthplace, they decided on the NYU Medical Center; they believed the extraordinary education affiliated with the university would allow their daughter to have a safe and healthy beginning into the world. My parent's confidence in their decision is what first led me to consider NYU, and after my first visit, I, too became confident that NYU would be the perfect place for my next beginning. I hope to pursue my studies at the Liberal Studies college where the Core Program will allow me to take a variety of courses while naturally discovering my academic passions. I am excited to deepen my fascination with biology and neuroscience through the Life Science course, and the Creative Writing Places course will continue to develop my love for writing. The interdisciplinary nature of the Program will complement my various interests, providing a foundation for any major I choose. With uncertainty for the direction of my major, I am drawn towards the Program's philosophy of having advisors to select the best course plan to guide me through my first two years. Upon viewing the video on the Why LS webpage, I was captivated by the "small discussion-based classes" and the easy access "for students to find professors in office hours or meet them outside of class"; this close-knit relationship is what I value in a school as I have had high school teachers who have done the same. Through living in Asia for ten years and participating in church mission trips across China, the opportunity to study abroad will provide me with a unique experience while expanding on my already global background. Whether I choose a future experience in London or Washington, D.C, studying beyond NYC will allow me to continue my journey of growth and discovery. I will maintain my role in service through the President's C-Team program, providing an opportunity for me to help others through weekly efforts at non-profit agencies. I will incorporate my leadership skills into the Asian Pacific American Student Alliance, raising awareness for the importance of Asian women on campus, just as I have done in high school. To expand my long-standing love for art, the Digital Arts Club will allow me to express my creativity on campus while exploring various digital mediums I have not yet been exposed to. With such essential qualities to fit my needs, I believe NYU will have an impact on my life, and I will be able to impact the NYU community in return.
Vivian, your response has to be more focused. Right now, you are throwing in ideas that don't really relate or sound like they come straight out of the website of the university. In order to better focus the reason as to why you chose NYU, you should focus your response ont he main point of your essay. Your actual response to the question "Why NYU?" is directly responded to by your interest in the Core Curriculum of the university. Focus on how you are not quite sure what you want your major to be, but that among all the universities in NY, it appears to you that the Core Curriculum of NYU best suits your interests. That way that the core curriculum allows you discover which of your 2 interests is your true passion, which will help you decide upon your college major is the main reason that you choose to study at NYU. Develop that response throughout the essay and the response will be better suited to the prompt. Think of what your major interests are in terms of field of study, include an explanation of why you wish to pursue deeper knowledge in these fields based on the Core Curriculum and then indicate 2 possible majors that you are using from, both of which, should be offered as degree courses at the university. Those are the reasons why you chose to study at NYU.

Home / Undergraduate / WHY NYU COLLEGE SUPPLEMENT ESSAY (MAX 400)