"my passion for cooking" - uc prompt 2 ( personal quality)

jessyboo 1 / 3  
Please help finish this uc prompt 2!
I am stuck what to write next.

Among all of us we label ourselves being different. We are different from our personality qualities and characteristics. We came from environments of diversity. However, everyone has one quality that makes them an individual. For me, my quality is my passion for cooking. Most people won't consider cooking as a quality but for me it is. Ever since a child, watching my mother cook gave me aspirations to pursue a career as a chef. With the effort she puts in, her food always turn out delicious and people become content.

I came to experience my passion of cooking in an unexpected situation. As a fifth grader, I always came home hungry. The cabinets in my kitchen would be filled with snacks that were easily to make.. One day, I was unlucky to find food and tried cooking on the stove. I made fried rice with soy sauce. I was afraid to burn them but they turned out ok at the end. I was relieved that I successfully managed a stove since it was my first time using it. During that day, my mom noticed rice near the stove. She asked me if I cooked. I said yes. She told me I have a lot of learning to do.

Over the years, I became familiarize with cooking and the culture I came from. My mother showed me everything on how to cook. She was the teacher and I was her student. For instance, she would correct me if I accidently chose the wrong ingredient or turned off the stove early. When I don't follow directions from her, the food becomes difficult to make. One of my biggest mistakes I've done is leaving the pan while it's cooking and the result is burning the food. "Always watch your cooking", my mother would say.
Hi,
I think your passion for cooking is one of your interests, but not one of your personal qualities such as your willingness to help others, ambitiousness, perseverance, honesty, leadership qualities and so on. At one point in your essay, you mention that others do not consider cooking as a quality, but you feel it is that way. However, my understanding is that university intends to evaluate your qualities to assess whether you can fit into their community or culture and what would be your contribution to them. Just think about this again. Good luck with your application!

Among all of us we label ourselves being different. We are different from our personality qualities and characteristics. We camecomefrom diverse backgroundsenvironments of diversity . However, everyone has one quality that makes themhim or her a specialan individual. For me, my qualityit is my passion for cooking. Most people won'twould not consider cooking as a quality but for me it is.
OP jessyboo 1 / 3  
Thank You so much for your help.
So it is not necessary to talk about cooking or can I write an experience of it? With keeping the introduction?
I think you should think about a strong personal quality of yours and write about it. For example, suppose you are a very helpful person. You describe a situation that you have helped someone who desperately needed such help to overcome his problem. And you can describe the satisfaction you derived from that experience.

However, if you can post the description of prompt 2, I can have a better idea about what they expect and help you accordingly.

As for the first para, I think you better re-do the whole thing. First be clear about what you are going to write and then start writing. You can post it to the forum and I will help you to improve it at my best ability because I'm not a native English speaker.
I am stuck what to write next.

If you don't know what to write next you are doing it wrong. You should not try to write when you have nothing to say, or it will have no inspiration.

People do this all the time... they know they have to write an essay so they just try to start writing without getting inspired.

When you are inspired, you will be asking, "How can I shorten this essay? I wrote too much!"

Okay, but actually I have another suggestion to add to what dumi said.

First, a correction:
Over the years, I became familiarize familiar (you should have written familiarized, but actually it is better to just write familiar)with cooking and the culture I came from. My mother showed me everything on how to cook. She was the teacher, and I was her student.

Suggestion: balance the stuff about learning from mother with some discussion of scholarly journal articles about culinary art. Cite at least 2 recent articles from professional journals about cooking.

:-)
OP jessyboo 1 / 3  
thanks, but i am thinking that I need to write a different topic.
sunzml 3 / 4  
dumi is right. You should write about any personal qualities that will contribute to your succcess in the future or anything that a college will care about. If you really wants do make connection between your cooking experience to this prompt, maybe you can write about your first cooking experience or describe how cooking make you more creative. Remember, for prompt #2, it doesn't have to be a talent or quality, it can also be accomplishment and experience.
OP jessyboo 1 / 3  
"Jessica you're up." Every time I hear these words spoken to me occasionally, it's always involved about presenting in class. When I was in seventh grade, my history teacher assigned us an individual project about memorizing a monologue about a historical figure. The project included writing a biographical essay about our historical figure and dressing up as them too. As Mr. Larson described the project I feared about making a fool of myself in class. The class had three weeks to learn their monologues. When the final days of preparations were coming to an end, my goal was to be calm.

i wrote about my experience of being shy and how i overcome it.

Home / Undergraduate / "my passion for cooking" - uc prompt 2 ( personal quality)