"My passion for dance" activities you will pursue at Johns Hopkins

RamyaRam 6 / 14  
any and all advice is greatly appreciated! thank you

A Typical student at Johns Hopkins spends less than 15 hours each week in a classroom, leaving lots of time for volunteer opportunities, clubs and organizations, athletics, social events, and other on- and off-campus activities. Aside from the academic interests you've already expressed, in what activities do you plan to engage as an undergraduate at Johns Hopkins?

An ardor for rhythm is what led me to take up Indian cultural dance, which focuses on translating the spirit of music through movements and expressions. My passion for dance is one of my driving forces, and therefore, I will definitely be dancing while at Johns Hopkins. I hope to join one of the college-based dance teams and compete alongside a team, but I have also always aspired to teach dance, so I would like to act upon my dream and teach children in the area to love dance like I do. Dance will always be an integral part of my life, and I would never let something I love so much slip away because of life in a new place.

Throughout high school, my leadership roles in various organizations have taught me valuable life lessons. I have taken on leadership roles in such school organizations as the National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society, and the Multicultural Alliance Club because I enjoy taking on extra responsibility. With these positions has come a greater understanding of the importance of dependability, so while at Johns Hopkins, I want to continue honing the life skill of leadership. I would like to attend conferences and workshops that would help me plan for my future and give me an edge in the competitive job market.

My extracurricular activities have elevated my life to new heights, and I know they will assist me in making the most of my experience at Johns Hopkins.

*QUESTION - Would discussing volunteer work instead of leadership be better?
DemolitionX 4 / 9  
Hmm i didnt know they had dance "teams" in college for ever? Pardon my ignorance :)

The bit about leadership though, i dont think you could consider leadership as an extra curricular, especially since it's not something you just get off the bat if ever. In truth and in fact, we all want to be leaders, but only few of us are "chosen" to be leaders, so when you "assume" you'll be a leader of organizations at JHU kind of seems a tad bit arrogant IMO.

Sorry for my rambling but other than that, the essay seems pretty solid.

Please review my supplement to JHU as well :)
OP RamyaRam 6 / 14  
thanks for the advice! i think i'll go back and change the leadership part

Home / Undergraduate / "My passion for dance" activities you will pursue at Johns Hopkins