'People around me as a family members' - A time when you failed. What did you learn?

atong24 1 / -  
Five days a week of my life during high school consisted of class, athletic practice, and homework. But every Friday night, I was always looking forward to one thing, football. At A.C. Reynolds High School, athletics was a big deal, especially our varsity football team. Every Friday night the crowd that comes to support our football team has so much intensity and ferocity, any opponent would become nervous. In high school, you learn to grow up, gain responsibilities, and learn important lessons in life that you can carry with you on into the future.

My senior year, our head football coach, Coach Shane Laws offered me the job as the football manager and water girl for our football team. Practice was tough and seeing blood, sweat, and tears put into a play was normal. Coach Laws was a father-like figure to the boys and always had the right words to say in any situation whether we got a "W" at the end of the night or not. When the first game of the season finally rolled around, no matter how bad of a day the players had or whatever they had on the minds, you can tell that they all leave it behind when they step onto that warm, bright green turf field.

With a successful season and claiming the title of conference champions, it was no surprise that we would make it to playoffs. We advanced to the 3rd round of playoffs and we were scheduled to play Porter Ridge on a cold November night at home, the R.L. Dalton Stadium. With the championship game on everybody's mind, we knew we had to give it our all. Throughout the game, our performance was not to its highest level which resulted in a tragic loss in a game of 24-21 to the Porter Ridge Pirates. Tears were flowing and thoughts of disbelief was in the air, but we held our heads high and hit the hands opponents congratulating them of their advance to next week's playoff game.

Even though we were so close to making it to the championship game, we knew it was not the end of the world and that everything is not always about winning. I learned many great life lessons from A.C. Reynolds football team that I was able to carry on with me into the future. I also will always be so thankful for Coach Laws teaching me many important life lessons and allowing me to call the A.C. Reynolds Varsity football team of 2010-2011, my family. Throughout this whole experience not only did I realize that winning was not everything, but that in life you will meet many great people that will be there for you no matter the circumstance. "When given the opportunity at hand, not only take it but embrace and make the most of it. During the season, you will not only recognize the people around you just as class mates and individuals, but as a family members," Coach Shane Laws.

PLEASE EDIT MY COMMON APP! PLEASE AND THANK YOU!
mrubinstein 1 / 1  
This is a well written essay, but in the first paragraph you repeat "every friday night". Small repetitions like this can detract from the overall quality of the piece. Make sure you only use words that are neccesary.

Other than that, well done, and good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'People around me as a family members' - A time when you failed. What did you learn?