I am only the person I make myself to be, not the person that other people say I am. UW entry essay

hoping2bahusky 1 / -  
The prompt is: Tell us a story from your life, describing an experience that either demonstrates your character or helped to shape it
maximum length is 600 words

Towards the middle of the freshman year, my friend Margaret and I were sitting next to each other on the bus on the way to school. We noticed these two girls behind us laughing, and we soon realized that they were laughing at us. That same day one of my friends approached me and told me she overheard her classmates talking about me. I was a little surprised because I did not recognize any of the names that she mentioned. She proceeded to tell me that they were talking about how Margaret and I were dating, and that I was a lesbian. My eyes went wide from shock. I told my friend that none of that was true, and she assured me that she did not believe any of it, because she knew that I was interested in a guy that was her friend. I told Margaret about the false rumor that was started about us, and she was furious. I wanted to tell somebody, maybe a teacher or the administration, but Margaret did not want to make a big deal about it-she did not want us to be known as snitches for the rest of high school. A few months passed, and I was dating the above-mentioned guy. Somewhere in my head, I was always hoping and wishing that my relationship status with him would disprove any rumors, and that would be the end of it. My wish came true, and I did not hear any rumors about me being a lesbian for the rest of freshman year.

Sophomore year came; I was not too worried about the rumors at first, but got paranoid when I saw the people who used to spread rumors about me. It was pretty hard for me to focus on anything else if I had classes with them. I always felt like they were talking about me or making fun of me. Everything I ended up doing was to try to prove the rumors wrong. I could not focus on schoolwork because I was letting the bullies get to my head. It was in those moments that I regretted not telling an administrator about my bullies sooner. When second semester came, and the rumors started again. They accused me of being a lesbian and using my boyfriend as a cover up. I was pretty fed up with everything, and I just ignored them. I remember walking to class with one of my friends, and some immature boy walked by and asked, "Do you have a dick?" (Excuse my language) I ignored him and continued walking, internally rejoicing that my friend did not say anything about it. I never talked about this rumor issue with anybody. I just let it be, and I hoped that the rumors would just disappear.

The rumors did eventually stop, and it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Junior year, I was more focused, and I did not care about what anybody thought because I realized that those rumors cannot change my sexuality, and my friends knew who I was. I knew for a fact that I was heterosexual, and no rumors could ever change that. I walked around with my head held high and I would not take any crap from anybody. I was my own person, and I had my friends to back me up. Through all of this, I became stronger and learned not to pay much attention about what others say about me. I am only the person I make myself to be, not the person that other people say I am.

any feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you all!
zigolf 2 / 3 1  
want to make a big deal about it-she did not want us to be known as snitches for the rest of high school. A few months passed, and I was dating

Your depiction is great, associated with your wording.
One thing that i think you will be more better is paragraphing.

I reckon that you trying to keep one main idea to one paragraph.
But the 1st paragraph is really too long and effects readers.
From my view, it can be separated into 2 or 3 paragraphs.
1. Before university 2. In university
or
1. Before university 2. First year 3. Second year

Home / Undergraduate / I am only the person I make myself to be, not the person that other people say I am. UW entry essay