Phy & MechE-----which department or program at MIT appeals to you

cf1916 5 / 13  
prompt:
Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (*) (100 words or fewer)

my response:
I have built up my enthusiasm in both Physics and Mechanical Engineering since I was in my primary school. I like reading books about physics and re-assembling old machines. I always dream of being a scientist and making innovative aircrafts, spacecrafts. I am eager to design innovative machines as well as unmask the secrets of universe.

I am sure MIT is the right place for me. There are advanced laboratories where students can bring Physics into life and great machines which students can apply the skills in Mechanical Engineering. Also its world leading professors and its infinite researches opportunity best match my eagerness for contributing to this world.

I want to major in both Physics and Mechanical Engineering. Then should I write both of them. Or just choose one?
Also, if I write both, will it affect my chance to get in MIT?
donrocks 5 / 120  
Choose one because that shows you are confident about your decisions.
Also, if you have not exceeded word limit, it is essential for you to mention that what experiences in past made you fall in love with the subject. I don't know what exactly is done in mechanical but best way is....

Go to MIT site and read up their on going researches. choose one and say that i am really keen on learning more about this. This shows you took pains to read up their site and gives you something solid to right.

Just saying high-tech. labs and all is very lame and general. You need to show that you really want to go to MIT to study this subject.

Hope this helps. :)
Please review my essay also, if you have the time.
mea505 - / 265  
I have been enthused with both physics and mechanical engineering since I was in primary school. I have always liked to read books about physics and re-assembling old machines. Always dreaming about becoming a scientist and making innovative aircraft and spacecraft, I am eager to design innovative machines as well as unmask the secrets of the universe.

I am quite sure that MIT is the right place for me. There are advanced laboratories where students can breathe life into new machines and apply their skills of mechanical engineering. Also, the world's leading professors and researchers can give me an opportunity to match my eagerness and help me contribute to this world.

You also might want to limit your discussion to only one discipline.

Thanks,

Mark
OP cf1916 5 / 13  
Seeing water turn to be steam and disappear, an ordinary child will say it is magic, but, this sparks off my thinking. I started to think about how things around me work. From searching from many resources and doing my own experiments, I find passion on physics. Now I am eager to uncover the mystery of the universe.

MIT Physics Department provides me a chance on researches such as dark matter and superconductor. I want to learn the hottest thing since the Big Bang, the coolest things in the universe, the simplest thing in our life and whatever about physics.
Then should I write both of them. Or just choose one?

The trick is to write not about one of them, but about YOUR unique intentions and ideas. You have gained some knowledge and wisdom, and your wisdom (insight) leads you to want to master both of these disciplines. That means you should do the following things:

Discuss concepts in both fields, and perhaps cite some articles.
Discuss the school's program
Discuss your specific plans for your professional future.

Your interests and plans will show why both are necessary.

Seeing water turn to be steam and disappear, an ordinary child will say it is magic, but, this sparks off my thinking.

It is magic!

I want to learn the hottest thing since the Big Bang, the coolest things in the universe, the simplest things in our life, and whatever about every other secret of physics.

Home / Undergraduate / Phy & MechE-----which department or program at MIT appeals to you