'Physical limits' - My UF aplication essay

lostsy10 1 / -  
Prompt-Describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community.

You may want to reflect on your family, your school or community activities, or your involvement in areas outside of school.

Five AM morning workouts that lasted three hours coupled with five PM afternoon workouts that lasted two hours made for one hell of day. This was my routine Mondays, Wednesday, Fridays, and Saturdays for each of my three summers during high school when I participated in Speed Camp. Speed Camp is an endurance and strength building program that is offered by my school in order to prepare athletes for upcoming seasons. Through Speed Camp I learned what my limits were both mentally and physically and I learned how to push those limits beyond all expectations. I was also a Captain and I learned what it means to have other guys depending on you to come through for them when it matters most. Due to Speed Camp I am able to not only push my own boundaries, but also help others push their own.

Limits are meant to be pushed, some further than others. Physical limits are easy to overcome, you just have to accept the fact that this is really going to hurt immensely but it will make you better and stronger.Psychological limits on the other hand can be incredibly difficult to overcome. It is not just a matter of thinking it and doing it like physical limitations, but you have to believe in yourself and know that you can do it, which at times is challenging. However, when those barriers are broken down you are able to accomplish so much more, both physically and mentally.Having my body thrashed for hours on end has prepared me, not only physically, but mentally for the rigors of college both inside and outside of the classroom. Knowing that I have overcome so much gives me the confidence to be able to excel at anything I do, no matter what.

Having twelve other guys look up to you and depend on you to succeed is an overwhelming burden. When all of your teammates are exhausted beyond belief they depend on their captain to carry them mentally and occasionally physically over the hill and across the finish line. As the Captain, one can never show weakness because your men are counting on you to help them in their time of dyer need. In order to be a leader one must not only believe in oneself but also have his men believe in him. The weight that was placed on my shoulders made me the person and leader I am today and will enable me to lead my fellow freshmen into great success not only at the University of Florida but also outside of it.

While my training at Speed Camp has ended, the lessons it has taught will stay with me forever. I will be able to use them throughout my entire life. Whether my life leads me to the UF campus or somewhere far away, I know that I am equipped with the skills I need to not only succeed but to help others succeed as well, all because of Speed Camp.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I'm happy to help with some editing for your excellent essay!

Limits are meant to be pushed, some farther than others. - When referring to distance, it's "farther"; when referring to something additional ("we'll touch on one further item"), it's "further." You could perhaps make an argument either way here, but my choice would be farther.

Having my body thrashed for hours on end has prepared me, not only physically, but mentally, [add comma] for the rigors of college

your men are counting on you to help them in their time of dire need.

Best of luck in your studies!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / 'Physical limits' - My UF aplication essay