"the Renewal Foundation" - MIT Creativity Essay

anniebiotic 4 / 8  
Tell us about a time you used your creativity. This could be something you made, a project that you led, an idea that you came up with, or pretty much anything else. (*) (200-250 words)

Ever since my freshman year, I have been working closely with the Renewal Foundation in aiding children in rural China. The massive earthquake that occurred in Sichuan in 2008 really tug at my heartstrings, so I decided to expand my efforts and introduced RF's projects to the GlobalGiving club at school. Successfully, I persuaded the club into adopting one of the projects - raising $5000 to rebuild the HuaYu elementary school library.

The following school year, I was elected president to lead this ambitious plan. As president, my creativity was demanded at every level. I set up bake sales during all the school functions and began a candy cane grams tradition during the holidays. Both the bake sales and candy cane sales were huge hits, and by January, we were only $1000 away from our goal. In the spring, I presented GlobalGiving's efforts to the local community, and successfully lobbied for a donation of $10,000 from the ICCCI Chinese Society. With this, we were able to build the HuaYu library as well as two other libraries for schools in the area.

The entire process of leading this project was both exhausting and exhilarating. My innovation was demanded at every moment - from delegating tasks to fundraising to spreading the word about our mission. The end result, however, was undeniably worth it; not only did I touch the lives of over 1000 young students, but I also learned a great deal about my capabilities through stretching my creativity to its fullest extent.
MakeAnImpact97 2 / 6  
Nice! It's inspiring. I think it answers the question well too.

Home / Undergraduate / "the Renewal Foundation" - MIT Creativity Essay