SCAD Statement of Purpose - Transfer/ Illustration Major

Nadai25 1 / 1  
The statement of purpose should be no more the 500 words and should give an overview of the applicant's academic and personal experience, describing preparation for and commitment to further study at SCAD, as well as educational and professional goals and aspirations.

TO DO LIST: BECOMING A SCAD BEE

The relationship between me and art-making is oddly similar to an old couple entering their 10th year of marriage: seemingly little golden sparks, little extreme excitement that makes my heart skips; yet, there is love and fondness in a way that I cannot imagine being without, as art has become one of the only constants in my life.

The realization that I want to pursue art as a profession came naturally around my years in middle school, and so did my aspiration to become an illustrator. Despite being told as a child to not "judge a book by its cover," I grew up doing the opposite. When looking for a book, it is never the title, the pseudonym, or the sign "New York's Best Seller" that catches my attention, but always the cover. I believe it is an artist's job to create a cover that can speak for the content inside, not only revealing what is necessary like the genre and mood but also be intriguing enough to infuse passerby with curiosity, enticing them into getting their hands on the book. In addition, people are naturally drawn to beauty; and similar to how I was stopped in my track for a book with a well-designed cover, I wish to make art that tells stories, halts people's steps and makes them question for what is more underneath.

Throughout High school, I participated in several volunteer projects as a member of the Public Relations/Media Department, producing from member's shirts, badges, posters, brochures to social media contents; and due to the different aims of those projects, I learned to be flexible and assertive to the needs of different target audiences. I was also the Visual Manager for my school's basketball club. The experience granted me an opportunity to explore photography, as well as to be fully in charge of how the club will be represented.

After moving on to college, I became the Historian of Richland College's Asian Students Association. In addition, I took part in the 34th League for Innovation DCCCD Student Art Competition and got two of my pieces featured, representing Richland College, all the while succeeded in maintaining a 4.0 GPA as an Honor student. I also found the chance to familiarized myself with art exhibitions by becoming a volunteer at the Dallas Museum of Art, where I can interact with visitors and other art enthusiasts. My time in college had me well prepared for the world of professional art and design training, and I am ready to take the next step into realizing my desire.

I believe Savannah College of Art and Design is where I have the most opportunity to learn, not only from the world-class study programs and professors but also my peers who share the same passion. Having applied for SCAD once back in High school, my decision has not changed, for even now, SCAD remains the place I want to be at. I have confidence I will be a good fit for SCAD.
The essay is weak in two parts: (1) the preparation that you have done throughout that will make you a competitive student at SCAD, (2) the personal reason regarding why you are transferring schools. There is no clear, steady, and continuous reference to both school based and extra curricular activity based training to help you hone your craft. Since you are writing a statement of purpose, you need to make the purpose for your transfer clear. You have to give the reviewer your academic reason for transferring and your professional purpose. Why do you believe that the world of illustration is for you? Who are the major book illustrators who may have influenced your desire to pursue this career? The shirts that you made has some bearing on the discussion, but you did not offer any insight as to how you continued to pursue your artistic training from there. As the visual manager of the basketball club, what sort of training did you get that you feel is applicable to the course you are applying to? Did you join and win any visual arts competitions? If so, please discuss it.

What i am trying to tell you is that the essay you wrote needs more supporting information. What you have written isn't memorable enough. It is not competitive enough. It is not the kind of essay that would put you in the running for a transfer student slot at SCAD. Their applicants have dedicated their lives to the visual arts through continuous training, constant competition participation, winning the competitions, and honing their computer aided drawing abilities for possible CGI requirements. If you want this essay to become competitive, then you need to add more qualifications to it based on the aforementioned information. As of now, this essay will be read, then completely forgotten the next minute by the reviewer.

Home / Undergraduate / SCAD Statement of Purpose - Transfer/ Illustration Major