Stanford Supplement Short Essay, Johns Hopkins essay

gracetm 6 / 13  
"Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging." (250 words-1800 characters)

I wrote everyday, but hardly realized how amazing a world there was behind what I was writing until one day I saw a piece of work created by a local calligraphist. It was a birthday present for his student who was born in the year of horse. It says HORSE, one single character on a blank sheet of paper, yet I sensed an inspiring spirit beyond the simple word. One stroke raised as head, four strokes stretched as legs, and an invigorative young horse should run out of the paper! He turned his head and gave back a look of distain to the obstacles he had just overcome. His eyes shined with pride and his pose revealed a determination to conquer. All those simply came out of several brush strokes. I was amazed by my own realization.

That vivid picture evoked a profound understanding of this traditional art. I then saw that each character contains its own spirit, emotion, or quality, and perhaps that is why "character" was given its name. Together with the way a chirographer conveys those meanings, which is also a reflection of his or her feelings and thoughts, "characters" codetermine the excellence of a piece of calligraphy work. Hence, I always give a more insightful look into what I write, and try to infuse it with my own disposition, or with the temperament I intend to develop. This art is not only a visual palace, but also an expression of personality. The study of calligraphy cultured my life-long love for the beauty of Chinese characters.

Please revise it and give some suggestions. It's 259 words right now. Is that a bit short? What could I possibly talk about if I want to make it longer? Thank you:)
Tojidofukuto - / 8  
pershap you should add the picture of the word "HORSE" in Chinese. If a person who dont know Chinese read your essay, he/she might get confused. :D
duy 1 / 4  
There are some problem here:

+/Together with the way a chirographist conveys those meanings, which is also a reflection of his or her feelings and thoughts, "characters" determine the excellence of a piece of calligraphy work

Or may be you can use" also determine" , however I am not really sure about that. I think using just "determine" is better.
I wrote everyday, but did not realize what an amazing world there was behind what I was writing until one day I saw a piece of work created by a local calligraphist.

It says HORSE, one single character on a blank sheet of paper, yet I sensed an inspiring spirit beyond the simple word.

I love the job of writing for a newspaper. I enjoy running...

For the same reason, I do not have the clear outlook on my future, and I am not yet able to foresee...

Nice job on these! Good luck in school!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford Supplement Short Essay, Johns Hopkins essay