Tell us about an experience, in school or out, that caused you to rethink or change your perspective

Jichengwen 2 / 5  
My favorite books are Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and 1984 by George Orwell. In 1984, descriptions fit what happened in China during the last century and Big Brother is a model of North Korea's leadership. Books are strictly censured. The information we received is controlled by the minority and truth remains under cover. The moral world is as barren as a desert and People will finally die in fear. I regard 1984 as the best book I have ever read. Afterward, I read Brave New World. In this book no one likes to read so truth is covered by an excess of useless information; Culture is full of superficial entertainment and people die in amusement. Brave New World is the reflection of the world we now live in. Since I have a considerable interest in 1984 I did not want to read other books because I did not believe they could match 1984 in quality. However, when I finally read Brave New World, I realized that there is literally an entire world full of books to be discovered, and that I should learn to regard things objectively in order not to miss wonderful vistas, opportunities and experiences along the way.
Ji, you totally missed the point of the essay. What you wrote about pertains to the "What is your favorite novel and how has it affected you" prompt. Whet the admissions officer needs from you is your response to the "event or experience that changed your perspective" prompt. Your response to the essay must reflect a personal experience that had you changing your point of view from one side to another. Or at the very least, the event must have had you think about what you know to be true. These stories that you read and the perspectives that you offered are not based upon a personal experience and as such, cannot be considered the correct answer to the prompt. You have to go back and analyze your personal experiences, choose the one event in your life that had you change your mind about a cause or belief that you used to hold as true. That is the experience that you should be discussing in your essay. Needless to say, I am of the opinion that you cannot use this essay and should instead, write a new one that better responds to the prompt.
OP Jichengwen 2 / 5  
Ohhhhhhhh,thanks, I will write another one

Home / Undergraduate / Tell us about an experience, in school or out, that caused you to rethink or change your perspective