UIUC Admissions Essays; Graphic Design and Track and Field

trackislife45 1 / 1  
In an essay of 300 words or less, please discuss your academic interests and/or professional goals.

Growing up, I could never draw, or anything related to studio arts. I had an interest in art but I believed I could never be successful because I did not think I was talented enough. I had a strong passion for computers ever since I was four years old. In eighth grade, I discovered a compromise between both computers and art: graphic design. I began to use Adobe Photoshop to manipulate photos as well as edit them.

Although for a while, I had my heart set on drafting. From my freshman year, I always took drafting classes and I participated in SKILLS USA my sophomore and junior year, competing in mechanical drafting. I actually did not take my first design class in high school until my junior year; taking that class expanded my knowledge of the principles of art and the programs I used. I realized I had much more interest in the subject of design, and I was more excited about using my creativity to illustrate my imagination and share it with others.

At the University of Illinois, I plan to major in Graphic Design. While in college, I would like to intern at a studio to get an impression of what life as a graphic designer would be. My goal is to obtain my Masters of Fine Arts in Graphic Design and continue life with a career in graphic design.

In an essay of 300 words or less, choose one extracurricular activity, work experience, or community service project from the list you provided on the application and explain why you initially chose it, why you continued with it, and how you benefited from it.

More nervous than I had ever been in my entire life, I rocked back and forth concentrating on my approach. It was my last attempt at the high jump, and I was ready to break my personal record. I pushed off my right foot and began to run.

As soon as my feet left the ground, I could think of nothing else but to clear the bar. Within a second, I landed on the mesh of the pit and anxiously looked up. The bar was still in place, I had cleared 5'2", my goal and above state qualifying height.

As a child I loved to run around and race with the other kids in my neighborhood. I always wanted to be on the track team. I thought it was the only sport I was could at, and to my dismay it was true. I tried every sport I could before I decided to join the track team in middle school.

I believed track only had running events, I did not know much of the field events. I was then introduced to the high jump, and immediately I fell in love with it. At first, it was difficult, but with practice I began to succeed. I still participate in high jump, and I have gained many accomplishments and new found confidence in myself and my abilities.
Dr Cool 2 / 15 3  
Hi Folake. I thought that your second essay was really good (about your track and field activities). It is really interesting and grabs the reader's attention an holds it throughout. Unfortunately, your first essay wasn't really as good, imho. Some suggestions: try to focus more on what you can do instead of what you're not good at, which you spend a lot of time doing. Also, try to insert a specific anecdote like you do in the scond essay.

Good essays overall and good luck to you on your admissions!
...a compromise between both computers and art: graphic design.

Although For a while, my heard had been set on drafting.

... an impression of what how life as a graphic designer would be. My goal is to obtain my Masters of Fine Arts in Graphic Design and continue life with a career in graphic design.

More nervous than I had ever been in my entire life, I rocked back and forth concentrating on my approach. It was my...

Can you identify a truth about life and effort... something associated both with track/high jump and your chosen field of graphic design... how is design like a high jump?

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / UIUC Admissions Essays; Graphic Design and Track and Field